10.5 First impressions - post yours

Use the 2D dock, then. Open Terminal.app and enter the two following commands (you can copy and paste) and hit enter (by hand) after each line.
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES
killall Dock

Cool little feature:
When you select a file, then hit Return to highlight the filename, the Finder automatically selects *only* the filename and not the extension. that's very handy.

Thank the Cheese:

I'm not happy cos it's broken my AirPort connection! turns out, my delicate connection to my airport network was held together by the Interference Robustness in OSX. for no apparent reason, it's not absent in Leopard.

other than that, it works fine, is snappy and pretty much bug free. having said that, this is what i posted in a design forum:

"on the whole, i think it's pretty ugly to look at. the see through menubar is only good if you've got nothing open. which is... never... all other times, it's a dull medly of other colours, and it lacks prominence. the Tiger menu bar was, to be honest, Flawless. 'm not going to say that lightly, but i think it's true.

The unified look: far too dark. i'd like it to be the tone of inactive windows, which are a much more pleasant tone. at the moment, they all look a bit forboding. and the dock is a bit of a mess now. the reflections and shadows and that are impressive enough, but the end result is something that looks a bit cluttered and ugly." like i said, i was looking forward to the new dock...

Use the 2D dock, then. Open Terminal.app and enter the two following commands (you can copy and paste) and hit enter (by hand) after each line.
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES
killall Dock

Thanks Fryke, excuse ignorance, but I assume that the 2D dock will revert to the old Tiger type and lose stacks?

nah, it's the leopard dock, with a different 'skin' as it were. if you put your dock on the side of the screen, this is what it'd look like. all leopard functionality remains.

So, has anybody tried out photo booth? With all the new background and stuff you can do, I heard it was supposed to be good.

and i think it's easily revertable from what the command looks like. :) a "NO" should do the trick. so no harm in trying...

Never thought I'd be posting anything like this. As a developer, I've been running various iterations of the beta on several machines at work, but I wanted an actual retail package just to have (because it's cool and all). So I got it yesterday and went to upgrade my MacBook Pro. I did all the things one does prior to an upgrade, ran Disk Utility, ran a full backup, etc. The install itself was odd. It seemed to hang for long periods (15-20 minutes) several times and then appeared to procede normally. When it finally finished the machine was unable to get all the way to the Desktop. I get the grey Apple logo screen, then just a nice blue screen that never ever gets to the login window. Very odd indeed. I suspect something on the machine is somehow at odds with the startup process. I'll be doing a full erase and install now, but I'm pulling the logs off first so I can see if anything shows up. I'll post again once (if) I know so no one else runs into it. I have some suspicions, but I'll confirm before I jump to conclusions.

Having said all that, the last beta was amazing and I expect the retail release will be even better. And yes, the NDA was officially dropped Thursday.

First impressions:

Works and installs fine on Powermac G5 with modified 7800GS graphics card.

- Very snappy, resizing of windows feels much faster.
- Stacks are ugly and not well thought out. You can't customize the icon of the stack. I worked around it by creating a folder with the "_" as name and assigning a custom icon to it. But this is something the user shouldn't have to do.
- Although I didn't like coverflow that much when it was first introduced, its still a neat addition.
- Nice that you don't have to edit the smb.conf in order to add new shares

So, when I have to reinstall everything then I will try most of the new "300" features.

I tried the "upgrade" option on my wife's G5 first and it seemed to go through a clean install. Once it rebooted it just gave me a blue screen and a cursor, I was patient and waited for an hour before powering off. I once again started the install process but this time I did an "archive/install" and that worked. The only problem I saw once it booted up and logged in (which takes a little time on the first "go around" ) is my wife's account would not let me log in, it complained about a problem with file vault but it was never on for her account. My account and the kids accounts were fine so I just restored heres through the back up and everything was fine. These are all PowerPC not Intel, but I am going to try an do an upgrade on my Powerbook to see if I get the same result. I am going to increase the memory to a 1G it seemed a little sluggish at times with 512MB.

First impressions is that it is much more responsive and sleek looking. Upgraded both imac and ibook with no issues. Found out after installation on my imac that the printer driver for my Epson Photo Stylus R340, which is suppose to be incorporated in the OS, does not allow me to print using Epson's PrintCD. emailed epson, waiting for response.

Other than that, nice additions.

First impressions is that it is much more responsive and sleek looking. Upgraded both imac and ibook with no issues. Found out after installation on my imac that the printer driver for my Epson Photo Stylus R340, which is suppose to be incorporated in the OS, does not allow me to print using Epson's PrintCD. emailed epson, waiting for response.

Other than that, nice additions.

why is it always the printers and scanners that have compatibility issues whenever a new os (Mac, Windows or Linux) is released? It's so frustrating -- is it a lack of standards, or are printers/scanners somehow more complicated than other devices?

Installed Leopard upgrade on my Mini in about 1 1/2 hours. It verified my DVD and installed, rebooted and went to log-in. It showed my name (from upgrade). It would not accept my u/n or p/w. A call to India with a long wait got me to a very helpful tech. She could not resolve after resetting my u/n and p/w. Solution - re-install.

After rebooting I got a strange message that my u/n and p/w were not correct. Pressing enter logged me in and we were off to the races!!!

I've used just about every OS and this is light years ahead of anything I have even heard of. It works (so far) better than advertised. Time Machine set itself up and began backing up. Mail set up my Gmail and downloaded all of my mail. I set up Pop Mail - same thing.

I can't wait to try Boot Camp. WOW!

I installed it on my iMac G5, it froze the first time I tried to install, now it works, its doing fine but the fan has been on since I installed it. I hate how they ask you if you want to empty trash can, and all the shortcuts on the side of every window.

why is it always the printers and scanners that have compatibility issues whenever a new os (Mac, Windows or Linux) is released? It's so frustrating -- is it a lack of standards, or are printers/scanners somehow more complicated than other devices?

Both...

- all printer manufacturers try to add specific features to differentiate, and so make quite complex products

- and even for "standard features" printer never really worked on standards. PostScript is a standard, but all manufacturers use some special options and finally you need a driver for each printer brand, and each printer model.

I had prepared my early 2006 Intel iMac adding a 500G firewire/USB2.0 external MiniStackv3 to use with TimeMachine. I did a backup with SuperDuper prior to installing Leopard. It took quite awhile, but completed without incident.

I did a similar installation on a G5 iMac, also without incident. Both iMacs had 2G of RAM.

I got a little overzealous and without thinking it through ran the installer on my trusty old G4 400 [upgraded with dual 1.25ghz PowerLogix processors and video. It all went well until the very end, when it seemed to hang. I restarted and it would powerup and begin to boot and then power off. I haven't tried to get the installer DVD out yet. Will check on Monday. Can't believe I did such a stupid thing.

That's it for now. Oh, my Filemaker 9 Advanced works just fine so far as do most of the applications I've checked.

First let me start by saying that my issues are with the productivity 'features'. The rest of the product I am quire satisfied with.

If I go into iCal, Mail and To Dos, I have to say I think we are even worse than we were before (in Tiger). A few thoughts:

(1) Even though I kind of like the mail interface, there is no way on filtering or any kind of views to it. For someone that really bases his productivity in To Do management (over 140 to do's), this is quite useless. Sorting is a very poor start.

(2) Of course, you still have the limited functionality you use to have in iCal, and yet the change in interface has made it even more difficult to create a new to do, since accessing the more advance attributes of a to do are not accessible in such a straight forward way as it was before.

I could go on and on, but I will avoid you the dread. But as a summary, it's sad that after waiting for son long for an update to this area of productivity features, we could have gotten something cool, and in fact we really got nothing quite useful in practical terms. Personally, I could have done without all the look and feel features and would have prefer more functional features...

These are my thoughts! Thanks. Martin.

Back