1001st Font Book thread

TheQL

Registered
Hi there,

I am having some serious problems with the Font Book.
I somewhat administer 30 OS X 10.3.4 Computers at an advertisment agency in Germany and so there are about a thousand fonts per computer installed.

For some applications people still run Classic from time to time, and there I am. ATM with tons of fonts, fontbook with tons of them, and on some machines it just won't work.

Well, ok, BUT even without the user starting classic the Font Book is not just slow but seems to slow down the entire machine when there are many fonts installed (without Font Book opened)

AND next from time to time people are unable to launch Quark 6, what helps is deactivating all fonts and reactivating them. Same thing with the Network Neigbourhood, which sometimes cannot be accessed, doing the same "font trick" fixes that issue as well.

What the heck is all that about? Has any of you ever heard of something like that? What can I do? Would Suitcase fix all these problems for me?
Please help.

Tnx.

I don't think Font Book was intended to manage the thousands of fonts that advertising/design agencies use -- perhaps it's aimed more at the casual home user who has a few hundred fonts, but not in the thousands.

I have over 3,000 fonts on my system and find that Suitcase X1 handles them perfectly. I had to get in the habit of activating my fonts before launching PhotoShop or Quark or whatever, since auto-activation is still a little flakey in my opinion.

I would highly suggest using Suitcase X1 and ditching Font Book for the time being until Apple updates it, or makes it run better with many, many fonts like you have. There's a downloadable demo at:

http://www.extensis.com/en/products/product_family.jsp?id=1054

so, i guess i will give suitcase a try since i know it from pre os x time.

anybody have an idea why quark 6 sometimes crashes directly at startup but works fine after doing the "font trick" mentioned above?

Back