17" PowerBook

Originally posted by buggerit
No-one picked it!

GOLD!!!!!

I predicted bluetooth built into their powerbook and ibooks. I'm glad to see the 12" powerbook. With bluetooth built-in, a 867MHz PPC CPU, it is a good value proposition.

Dear All,

I have just recently received my new PowerBook G4 15.2" SuperDrive, the best there is, or was, in the last two weeks.

I am a little angry that Apple has released the 17" PowerBook, only what, 2 months after the speed bumps of the exisiting PowerBook line.

I feel ripped off and short-changed, but I also feel that the PowerBook that I have is now obsolete. Yes, I know it's still powerful, but I went out there to get the best their is, and it has taken me 6 weeks to receive my new PowerBook, for only for it to be knocked off the top-stop in 2 weeks. The SuperDrive model is still in short supply here in the UK. I suspect that quite a few people are changing their orders...?

Surely, Apple should do a Part exchange program for people who have recently purchased new PowerBook's like myself. I would gladly give more money for an exchange for the better model.

It seems that Apple are learning other computer suppliers tricks...

My two cents worth...

2 stupid questions I have are? (drumroll please)....

Will either of the new G4 Powerbooks boot into 9.2 (for various audio application purposes i.e. ProTools)

and

Is the 12' sufficient for mobile pro audo production? I am tempted to think so but I currently use a G3 Powerbook with a 14 inch screen and I contend there is not enough desktop space.

Originally posted by stizz
2 stupid questions I have are? (drumroll please)....

Will either of the new G4 Powerbooks boot into 9.2 (for various audio application purposes i.e. ProTools)

and

Is the 12' sufficient for mobile pro audo production? I am tempted to think so but I currently use a G3 Powerbook with a 14 inch screen and I contend there is not enough desktop space.

First, you'll only have to wait until the end of the month to have ProTools 6 for OSX, so this MAY be a moot point.

Second, you will still only get 1024X768 on the 12" PB, so you wont gain any real estate. BUT!!!, the 12" supports external monitors (DUAL DISPLAY!!!) up to 1600x1200, you that should give you lots of space, spanning over both monitors, if this scenario is useful to you.

I thing Big Steve J answered your first question with NO more booting into OS9 for new Macs #2 . that 12" with 1024x768 is probably not enough desktop space for what you want to do, but the 17"! looks like about 2 acres, huge :)

Boo Hoo! And I bet Apple has something else in the pipeline to make anything you buy today absolete in the coming year. Glad we live in a world that advances.

Otherwise, we would still be using horse and buggy.

Scott

Originally posted by cockneygeezer
Dear All,

I have just recently received my new PowerBook G4 15.2" SuperDrive, the best there is, or was, in the last two weeks.

I am a little angry that Apple has released the 17" PowerBook, only what, 2 months after the speed bumps of the exisiting PowerBook line.

I feel ripped off and short-changed, but I also feel that the PowerBook that I have is now obsolete. Yes, I know it's still powerful, but I went out there to get the best their is, and it has taken me 6 weeks to receive my new PowerBook, for only for it to be knocked off the top-stop in 2 weeks. The SuperDrive model is still in short supply here in the UK. I suspect that quite a few people are changing their orders...?

Surely, Apple should do a Part exchange program for people who have recently purchased new PowerBook's like myself. I would gladly give more money for an exchange for the better model.

My two cents worth...

I hope you're joking...

Why, oh, why would anyone buy an Apple anything that close to a MacWorld Expo? I feel your pain, but at the same time feel inclined to say that you kind of asked for it. I realize that they just recently speed-bumped them, but there hadn't been a MAJOR change in almost two years. Again I do feel for you, I just can't understand why one would make an Apple purchase any time near a MacWorld Expo.

My two cents worth...

Originally posted by Edge100
...... BUT!!!, the 12" supports external monitors (DUAL DISPLAY!!!) up to 1600x1200, you that should give you lots of space, spanning over both monitors, if this scenario is useful to you.

yes indeed

a very useful scenario, thanks

perhaps 12' is fine for anything I do on the move, then just plug into dual monitors at the studio or/and home.

gotta spend the xtra cheese on the superdrive. I only wish it was the 15' with these features at the 2000$ price point.

Dear All,

I made the purchased believing that there wouldn't be any improvements on the PowerBook line in the Expo. It's not a question and why I bought the PowerBook so close to Expo time, it's more of the question "Why did Apple do a speed bump so close to Expo time?" and make people wait almost 6 weeks for them to get it. People are still waiting...!

Would it not be better if Apple announced today the SuperDrive/Speed Bumps in they PowerBook line, instead of just releasing it back in Nov?

All I can say is that I feel short changed and I won't be making this mistake again...

Thanks Apple...

Originally posted by stizz
perhaps 12' is fine for anything I do on the move

12 feet would be good enough for me too! ;)

Why did Apple change the Mobility 9000 for the 440 Go? I thought the 9000 was supposed to be slightly faster...? Is the GeForce cheaper? Is Apple mad at ATI?

Well, at least it will provide a very good way to benchmark the 9000 vs the 440 -- a PowerBook 1GHz 15.2" vs. a PowerBook 1GHz 17".

Also, Steve didn't make a big deal out of it using 333MHz DDR RAM, or maybe I'm just forgetting. Maybe it's because of the half-speed problem they've got. I assume the new PowerBook has the same problem.

Dear All,

My two cents worth...

Come on, friend! Be cool! The same here... 15 days ago (more or less) I got the 1GHz/DVD-R TiBook and YES somewhat I was pissed off... However, if you look closer you will see that the new 17" TiBook will be around in 7-10 weeks!

WOOOOH... That's 2 months for crying out LOUD... Which means for many people that the 2 month period maybe will go up to 3 months! Ooops! All of a sudden that makes me feel somewhat better... Also, the 17" maybe isn't all that portable now, is it? Yes, its slim... But at the same time is longer AND heavier! Also, what about battery life? We all know that the current model goes up to 4 hours or so, but what about the 17"? Will it last for 4 hours os more? Maybe, I'm pessimist here but I don't think so...

Anyways, I think that me, you and all the other people who bought the 15" TiBook we are lucky and maybe we have the sweet spot of TiBooks!

The thing that makes me feel bad is that the prices went down for our models just because a new model will come out in the next 2 months or so... And THAT methinks, sucks!

Anyone who listens to Rumors sites... or assumes anything... well...

I don't know. I don't want you to feel any worse than you already do.

And once again we get it in the neck.

Price is what is upsetting me. I had some important meetings in several countries over Christmas and had to have a portable that could author multimedia with me. So I went with the brand new SuperDrive (thinking they wouldn't release such a spangly new piece of kit so close to an expo if they knew new models were in the pipeline), which cost just under 2500 pounds here in UK ($4000 at todays exchange). Now, 3 weeks after getting it brand new, the same is $2800. Why oh why release new top of the range kit when you know you have something coming out at Expo. If they didn't keep things so quiet, we could plan. $1200 can buy a lot (.Mac, new Jag upgrades, iLife, etc and maybe an iMac to replace my ageing desktop).

And it scratches REALLY easily.... :(

But it is gorgeous, and light :)

Dear All,

I have just recently received my new PowerBook G4 15.2" SuperDrive, the best there is, or was, in the last two weeks. I would gladly give more money for an exchange for the better model.

My two cents worth...

And that's why God invented Ebay. :)

Seriously though, It's going to always be that way. If the demand for 15.2" superdrive powerbooks is so strong where you are, take advantage of it and sell yours. You probably won't even take a loss if the demand is high enough. Then get the 17" for yourself. I know many people won't want the extra width of the 17" model. It's getting to be the size of an artist's sketchpad, and much heavier!

Originally posted by cockneygeezer I feel ripped off and short-changed, but I also feel that the PowerBook that I have is now obsolete.

BAD luck......welcome to the world of technology and progress. Your purchase was good enough before so how has Macworld broken your Powerbook?

*AdamByte hugs his old PowerBook G4 500*

I still love mine. Not too big, and not too little. Juuuuuust right. :)

You have my sympathies, though, cockneygeezer. You bought it thinking you were getting the biggest best laptop you could buy. I suppose eBay is your best shot, now, if you want a 17.

Granted, I dunno how much I'd like a 17inch PowerBook... that seems a bit big.... guess I'll have to see it at an Apple store and try it.

I'm still waiting for the 22" TiBook! :D

Damn that 17" looks good! Ambiant lighting keyboard! Darn those intuitive apple engineers! *droool*

No wonder I'm not working there....guess I can't think as differently. hehe

Back