2.0 for Old iPods, petition

I thought 2.0 would come out as a software update for the old iPods. I just thought 2.0 would come pre-installed on the new ones. ::shrug:: I don't care I don't have an iPod.

sweet! where's the petition for apple to send all people with G4s free 970s? i'll sign that one too!

grabbing the 2.0 update is simple!!

Step 1. List old iPod on eBay
Step 2. Receive Payment
Step 3. Purchase new iPod!

So lets see. Things you can do on the new iPod you can't do with the old one.

1. Play solitaire.
2. Keep notes with you (you actually can http://kainjow.com)
3. Some other trivial stuff.

Here's how you get 2.0!

1. Buy a deck of cards.
2. Buy a notepad.
3. Enjoy.

Originally posted by MikeXpop
So lets see. Things you can do on the new iPod you can't do with the old one.

1. Play solitaire.
2. Keep notes with you (you actually can http://kainjow.com)
3. Some other trivial stuff.

Here's how you get 2.0!

1. Buy a deck of cards.
2. Buy a notepad.
3. Enjoy.

ur totally wrong.
2.0 includes a very important new feature (at least for me).. it includes playlists on the go!!!i wish i could have that on my ipod.
i think it also includes one other important feature...

anyway,. i dont think apple would release 2.0 for old ipods. that would mean less reasons to buy a new ipod (if u already have an ipod)
BUT i do hope they listen to us and give as 2.0 :p

Originally posted by AJaX
grabbing the 2.0 update is simple!!

Step 1. List old iPod on eBay
Step 2. Receive Payment
Step 3. Purchase new iPod!

Thats exactly what i did.

Get rid of your old one without a warranty, get a new one with all the features you want while still gettting 200ish for a 5 gb 1st gen on ebay.

That way, you get a brand new ipod, twice the size of a 5gb for 99$ more.

Thats a steal, and thats if you just go the low end route...the dock made it all worth it to me...

I'd like a petition for Apple to upgrade my Color Classic to be able to run OS X.

Come on guys. Don't you have anything more important to complain about?

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
I'd like a petition for Apple to upgrade my Color Classic to be able to run OS X.

Come on guys. Don't you have anything more important to complain about?
it might not be very important 2 u but it is for me. i dont see where the problem is. next time, just dont read the post :)

Well, the iPods (1G & 2G) are upgradeable... just not upgradeable to v. 2.0 of the firmware.

If you find that unappealing, unload it on eBay (or trade in over at OWC or Macsolutions), take the money, and buy a new one with warranty and new features.

'Tis the way of the Mac. Always has been, always will be.

If you can get it, all the better. But would you really give up your Apple stuff? I'm sure there will be more updates to the older Pods, but why would people buy a new one if the older ones did the exact same thing? Put your songs on random or heaven forbid, create a playlist before heading out.

I don't understand the negative comments towards this petition. Granted Apple rarely acts on these online petitions, but still, the principle behind what everyone is signing for is right.

It was the first and second generation iPod owners that brought Apple the success it has. I'm sure the people who purchased the iPod two weeks prior to the new ones being available, are real happy. Not everyone visits Macrumor sites... So not everyone knew to wait, till the 3rd gen iPods to be released.

I purchased a new iPod for myself, but, I still have two iPods (5 GB, and 20 GB) that I use - which I would love to have the features of 2.0.. In fact, I feel Apple owes me the right to an update OS. I've purchased THREE ipods from you Apple, and this is how you thank me?

j79, what are you really missing by not having 2.0 on your iPod? I ask this seriously, because with the most recent update to the firmware for the old iPods, you got AAC playback, which is the only functional improvement to the 2.0 firmware outside of the Notes feature (as far as I have heard anyway).

I just don't see what all the fuss is about, since you can play the same songs, and the old iPod still works just fine. But then again I'm not the kind of person who wants everything crammed into the same device, so I guess the games and notes could be important to you if you are looking that type of functionality out of a music player.

In fact, I feel Apple owes me the right to an update OS. I've purchased THREE ipods from you Apple, and this is how you thank me?
You did get an update, unless you didn't go to 1.3. You've purchased three iPods and Apple owes you nothing but continued support. You've bought three great mp3 players that I'm sure you were quite happy with until a newer model came along and the whining began.
Apple is a business. Geez, when I had a clamshell iBook running 9.2.2, I would have loved it if Apple sent me a free copy of Jaguar, since I had been a faithful Mac user for some time. Nope. They gave updates to OS 9, then I made the jump to Jaguar myself.
If people want to petition, all the best to them. But to petition for something because they're whining that their toys are their latest and greatest is a bit much, imho. Enjoy your three iPods or sell them and get a new one. You get three of the best mp3s out there and this is how you show thanks?

I have the 15gig iPod and rarely use the on the go playlist feature.

But so far I havn't taken my iPod on any really long trips. I'm sure it would come in handy then.

Back