2.5 or 3.5 iBook Hard Drive???

pwharff

Registered
My mother-in-law is wanting to upgrade her hard drive in her iBook and use the old drive in a FireWire Enclosure external drive. I just can't seem to find out anywhere what size is the drive.

Is it 2.5 or 3.5?

Her iBook is the Dual USB 800 MHz G3

Thanks.

Width-wise, I suppose -- from the right side of the drive to the left, across the top would be my best guess.

There are only 2 different sized drives used in Apple hardware, as well as most other computer hardware anywhere: 2.5" and 3.5". The 2.5" is almost always used in notebooks and the iPod, and the 3.5" is almost always used in desktop machines.

If you wish to purchase a FireWire enclosure for the iBook drive, purchase a FireWire enclosure that fits a 2.5" drive. If you wish to replace the drive in the iBook, purchase another 2.5" drive.

This page here lists a lot of different 2.5" drives as well as a few FireWire enclosures for the drives:

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Page.cfm?Parent=91&Title=2.5" IDE & SCSI for Laptops&Template=

The only limitation you have is the replacement drive for the iBook. 2.5" drives have varying heights sometimes, and the iBook requires one that is 9.5mm high, as indicated at the bottom of that page in the links. All the drives listed on that page should indicate the height in mm of the drive.

Hope that helps!

Not only do you need to get a 2.5" HDD, you need to make sure it's thin enough. Some laptop drivers are thicker then others, and don't fit in all laptops. For instance on the original iBook you needed a 9.5mm or thinner drive, while most of the ones sold are 12.5mm. If you put the 12.5mm in it, the case wouldn't close up again. You can tell if it's a 2.5" drive by the connectors, it doen't have the standard power connector that desktop drivers have.

And, the iPod uses a 1.8" HDD, not a 2.5" :)

Brian

I heard iBook hard drives are BASTARDS to change. Does anyone know if Apple charges reasonably to upgrade a hard drive? I just bought a 12" G4 iBook but I could only afford the 30GB Hard drive. In the future, I would like to put in the biggest that will fit.

I know Apple are charging us $200 Australian to change the 40GB in our Lamp iMac to an 80GB.

Back