2 Dead Macs

XxBaZxX

Registered
Hello,
I have a Beige (all in one) G3 w/a G4 proc upgrade running OS9 and a Ibook running OSX. Both have crashed on me and i cant get either to boot. When I turn on the beige it boots to a disk drive with a flashing ? and when the ibook boots I get a plain blue screen. I have run Diskwarrior on the ibook and after 13 days of straight rebuilding the filesystem the ibook booted just fine. As soon a I tried to boot back into OS9 the ibook crashed again. Now whenever I try to boot the ibook from cd i get a bus error or if I try to boot from HD I get a blue screen. The beige will not even boot from cd, all i get is that flashing ?. I am fairly computer savvy, i build PC's but when it comes to mac's im a bit lacking in my knowledge. Any pointers you may be able to help with will be very apprecieated.

Thanks Much,
George Derr

Cheryl

Rosie Moderator
Staff member
Mod
On the Beige G3 - are you starting it with the OS 9 full install CD? Are you holding down the C key to force it to boot from the CD?

On the iBook, have you tried to boot with the OS X CD with power adaptor plugged in?

On both machines, try zapping the PRAM.

Restart the computer and immediately hold down
Command (Apple key) + Option + p + r.

Continue to hold down those keys until you hear the start up chimes three times, then release the keys.

XxBaZxX

Registered
Yea I am booting from a full OS 9 disk and for whatever reason all it will boot to is the flashing disk with a ?. Is it not finding my harddrive? I've tried reseting all IDE cables but same problem. Im about to pull the drive and throw it
in one of my PC's as a slave just to see if it will be able to read it.

As far as the ibook i always had the power cable pluged in, the laptop rarely left my desk. Resetting the PRAM didnt help, still boots to the OS X loading screen then that dissapears and im left with a blue screen. Its kinda got me stumped cause DiskWarrior had it running till i tried to boot in OS 9. It took 2 weeks constantly running to rebuild the file system, but it booted. Thanks for your advice.

Cheryl

Rosie Moderator
Staff member
Mod
It is strange that neither will boot from the CD.

How new/old is the pram battery on the Beige? That might need replacing. I have had some older machines that refuse to boot because of a dead internal battery.