2 Dead Macs

XxBaZxX

Registered
Hello,
I have a Beige (all in one) G3 w/a G4 proc upgrade running OS9 and a Ibook running OSX. Both have crashed on me and i cant get either to boot. When I turn on the beige it boots to a disk drive with a flashing ? and when the ibook boots I get a plain blue screen. I have run Diskwarrior on the ibook and after 13 days of straight rebuilding the filesystem the ibook booted just fine. As soon a I tried to boot back into OS9 the ibook crashed again. Now whenever I try to boot the ibook from cd i get a bus error or if I try to boot from HD I get a blue screen. The beige will not even boot from cd, all i get is that flashing ?. I am fairly computer savvy, i build PC's but when it comes to mac's im a bit lacking in my knowledge. Any pointers you may be able to help with will be very apprecieated.

Thanks Much,
George Derr

On the Beige G3 - are you starting it with the OS 9 full install CD? Are you holding down the C key to force it to boot from the CD?

On the iBook, have you tried to boot with the OS X CD with power adaptor plugged in?

On both machines, try zapping the PRAM.

Restart the computer and immediately hold down
Command (Apple key) + Option + p + r.

Continue to hold down those keys until you hear the start up chimes three times, then release the keys.

Yea I am booting from a full OS 9 disk and for whatever reason all it will boot to is the flashing disk with a ?. Is it not finding my harddrive? I've tried reseting all IDE cables but same problem. Im about to pull the drive and throw it
in one of my PC's as a slave just to see if it will be able to read it.

As far as the ibook i always had the power cable pluged in, the laptop rarely left my desk. Resetting the PRAM didnt help, still boots to the OS X loading screen then that dissapears and im left with a blue screen. Its kinda got me stumped cause DiskWarrior had it running till i tried to boot in OS 9. It took 2 weeks constantly running to rebuild the file system, but it booted. Thanks for your advice.

It is strange that neither will boot from the CD.

How new/old is the pram battery on the Beige? That might need replacing. I have had some older machines that refuse to boot because of a dead internal battery.

Back