2 gigahertz imac?

sithious

no longer a member
... i don't know whether this actually qualifies as either a rumor or as news, but it's an idea anyway ... :)
so, what do you think of this ?
seems like an interesting concept ...

interesting, but too much information is missing. f.e.:

- can it incorporate the AltiVec?
- is it SMP ready?
- is it "as cool" as the G4?

and, most important:

- does it still run on the 68K architecture?

If last one is true (as it should), Apple would have to reimplement 68k compatibility...well, I haven't been in the Mac community, but everything I heard was that the 68k emulation in OS 8 was a pain in the ***

Also,if rumors are true, Apple stands a few months before bringing the first 64 bit processor to the masses...the G4 will become the "i-CPU" (iMacs, maybe also iBooks early next year) while the G5 will be the "power-CPU". I don't know, I expect more from the G5 with 1ghz G4 iMacs...

first of all with 32 megs of ram you can do NOTHING, even if the prosesor is fast, only one app could be open at a time, and it would be impossible to do things like photoshop, games, or anything besides instant message word prosses and the internet.

What, and now we ask programmers to go BACK to programming for the '040? Sometimes wild speculation leads to great ideas being born -- sometimes wild speculation leads to looking like a complete idiot.

I think the author was leaning toward the latter on that one.

Is the "now" 68K architecture chips faster than the current G4's? If they ever put Mac OS X running on the 68K's, they could implement Cocoa into the "new" Mac OS X system architecture and all the current Cocoa apps would just run. Because Cocoa is a run time system as well...

What do you guys think?

This was April's Fools joke. Why don't you follow the link towards the Motorola 68k page, to see that the fastest 68k (it is a 68060, BTW) is at 75 MHz? Can we close this one?

Originally posted by whitesaint
Is the "now" 68K architecture chips faster than the current G4's? If they ever put Mac OS X running on the 68K's, they could implement Cocoa into the "new" Mac OS X system architecture and all the current Cocoa apps would just run. Because Cocoa is a run time system as well...

What do you guys think?

Not without recompiling. Cocoa is not a runtime environment like .NET or Java.
And I don't think it is such an easy task to just "switch" the Cocoa framework from one processor architecture to another, many classes would change, thus a simple recompile wouldn't do. If it would be that easy, Java or .NET wouldn't be such "revolutionary" (or however you'd like to call it)

Uh, wow. Some people get fooled by April Fool's jokes even when it's not April 1st, as ladavacm expertly pointed out. :)

Back