2 x ext laCie mirror drives

Elliotjnewman

Registered
I would like to buy this and setup using disk utility so that they are mirrored, and use the machines internal drive as the boot drive and keep it quite empty, for apps etc.

The thing I was wondering is how would I setup the two external drives, I presume they would both have to be connected to my mac via firewire 800 - but I only have 1 800 port, or can I just connect 1 to the mac and connect 1 laCie to the other?

You cound connect one to FW800 and one to FW 400.
Why do you plan to mirror them? :-/

You could just buy something much cheaper at your local big box store. Just shop around and make sure the external you buy is large enough (for the price) and has the connection speed you want. FW8000 will be the fastest connection on a modern mac, FW400 has a better sustained output over USB2. Also check the brand you buy has the cables included, this will save you money.

Then download and buy the shareware SuperDuper. This will set a schedule any way you want it to back up only the changes you have made (once you complete a full backup).

Now if you want to "mirror" in the true sense than you are going in the territory of RAID systems.

I work with quite big files in photoshop, sometime 1gig I also do the occasional comp work and editing which can be 2K, HD or SD so I would like to have the ability to use firewire 800 at least. I will also be doing this all on a macbook pro 2.4.

I was looking at this drive too so I can go raid 1 with it, but I was reading its noisy and hard to setup with raid 1, plus its quite big and unportable... but its still something I am considering.

I want to mirror the hdd so that I have an automatic backup setup, and am looking at using the two laCie drives as a way of doing this via disk utility, or an app like superduper.

Its good to know that I can connect the two laCie's to each other and just 1 of them to the mac...

looks like its usb2 I dont have that on my macbook pro... its also hard to find a uk dealer... and its expensive! but does look cool.

also, something I just thought about, I want to have the flexibilty to take the external hdd onto location shoots, and one of the bigger, raid setups probably will be too big for this. Also if it gets stolen then thats it! but at least, if I have two seperate drive's I could take 1 on location and still have the other safe at home. Use the laptop drive as primary on shoots, backing up on the external at night and then move everything onto the two externals when I get back home.

I think one of those laCie's will be ok as a portable, at least to keep in the hotel for evening backups, thing is if I setup a software mirror, and I try and run just 1 of the drives (and not the mirrored one) will this cause confusion? Or will it just mirror as soon as I plug the second external back in?

also, something I just thought about, I want to have the flexibilty to take the external hdd onto location shoots, and one of the bigger, raid setups probably will be too big for this. Also if it gets stolen then thats it! but at least, if I have two seperate drive's I could take 1 on location and still have the other safe at home. Use the laptop drive as primary on shoots, backing up on the external at night and then move everything onto the two externals when I get back home.

I think one of those laCie's will be ok as a portable, at least to keep in the hotel for evening backups, thing is if I setup a software mirror, and I try and run just 1 of the drives (and not the mirrored one) will this cause confusion? Or will it just mirror as soon as I plug the second external back in?

You have USB 2.

You could buy a smaller travel drive (basically a laptop hard drive in a case). There's no way you're going to fit a RAID system in a laptop bag. I would also recommend Drobo at your home.

I have a 500GB LaCie hooked up to the back of a 250GB LaCie and use them as separate entities. It's just safer that way.

Now if you want to "mirror" in the true sense than you are going in the territory of RAID systems.
I've seen and read more issues with External HD RAID over Internal.

Satcomer, correct me if I stray...

I only have ONE Lacie External HD, however, i use SilverKeeper (Lacie Software)to back up my content. You could simple set the Scheduling to Back Up from your laptop to DRIVE A and then to DRIVE B from DRIVE A. Using RAID seems over complicated for backing up PSD's etc. Link the two External Lacies and set up how you want the BackUp to work.

Qion said:
I have a 500GB LaCie hooked up to the back of a 250GB LaCie and use them as separate entities. It's just safer that way.
I agree Qion.

Regards,

CaribbeanOS-X

Back