2003 G4 Powerbook, File Vault "disk Space Reclaim"

bkr

Registered
My G4 Powerbook was accidentally uplugged during File Fault reclaiming disk space function during shut down. Entered sleep mode. Unaware of this, I packed it and walked 6 blocks with it. Opening it discovered this and found it "resuming" File Vault disk space reclaim for several minutes... not normal. Forced it to quit by shutting off. Restarted, to find address book "empty" and iTunes library recreated as new one and "damaged' one. Dock position and contents changed. Mac Mail preferences lost, mail itself so far, intact. Sluggish to open, and quit programs. not sure if data lost, or...? Each time I awaken it from sleep, something else has changed when I launch a program. It is now shut down. What's wrong????

Running latest version of Panther. Did an iPod update day before this situation.
I have basic tech savvy skills, until I learn that I know even less!
; - )

HELP?!

Sincerely,
Mr. B

bkr said:
My G4 Powerbook was accidentally uplugged during File Fault reclaiming disk space function during shut down. Entered sleep mode. Unaware of this, I packed it and walked 6 blocks with it. Opening it discovered this and found it "resuming" File Vault disk space reclaim for several minutes... not normal. Forced it to quit by shutting off.
You assumed wrong -- if FileVault space reclaiming was interrupted, then it is most definitely normal behavior for it to resume trying to reclaim disk space. Interrupting it a second time probably trashed your entire FileVault image.

It is best never to interrupt anything by "pulling the plug" on the computer -- even if you think you're 100% sure it's "hanging." Interrupting it twice, though, is really, really bad. It will almost always lead to an unbootable system and possibly file corruption. Always let processes like this run to completion, even if it means leaving the computer awake for hours and hours. A bootable computer tomorrow is better than a non-bootable computer today.

In my opinion, I would suggest backing your data up, reformatting, then reinstalling OS X. There is no telling the extent of damage caused by the interruption of a very important process.

Back