2004 MS Office question

APPLE HEAD

Registered
I have recently started getting(buying) legal software. I recently purchased MS office 2004 standard edition. This is being used at home and my question is how do run 2 computers on the same license # in our home network. I occasionally get booted out when my kids are using it on there computer or if they leave it on. The answer I am not looking for is to go buy another copy.

Unfortunately, that is your only option, as using the same license key to install Microsoft Office 2004 on more than one Macintosh is against the EULA, and, hence, illegal.

If you question this, it would be best to read the licensing agreement that either came on paper or was presented to you when installing the software to find out whether using one license key for multiple installation is allowed.

I really dont want to get involved with the saltmine program. As bad as it may seem I am doing the right thing, morally not legally.

Understood... unfortunately, we take the legal road here over the moral one, so we can't help you get around this little roadblock. My only advice would be to stay within the limits of the law and to either review the EULA you agreed to when installing the software, or contact Microsoft to see if there's a legal workaround.

Your kids can use the Student & Teacher edition, which has a 3-computer-install, and is slightly cheaper.

Next time you buy a new Mac, ask your reseller if they offer the OEM version of Office 2004. You'd have to buy it on the same invoice as you're buying the computer, but it's about 1/2 the price of a normal copy of Office. It's exactly the same software and is upgradeable in the future, but it DOES NOT include technical support from Microsoft (buy hey, who calls them anyway!).

Pssst...

Go to ebay and purchase it. I bought two copies of Office 2004 both for under $200 - one student/teacher which can legally go on 3 machines and one Standard for my business machine.

Seeing I'm a teacher and to really push it, I'm also a MS guy (student) trying to learn how to use a mac, I guess that satisfies the requirements.

Pssst...(opening trench coat)...wanna buy a cool Office 2004 cd?

;-)

But yeah, go to ebay if you can't afford retail.

Back