2008 & 2012 Mac Pro Video Cards -can I Swap?

rickself

Registered
I don't know much about video cards and haven't even had time to look inside to see what the difference is between these two. I have a 2012 3.2 ghz Mac Pro Quad Core with an ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB Video Card. I also have a 2008 2.8 Mac Pro Quad Core with a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB. I'd like to swap the video cards. Is this possible? As always, Thank you for your valuable input.

While comparing the two, the connection is the same, but the size of the two are different. The NVIDIA is slimmer but longer. The ATI is thicker. Hence fitting them in the slot may become a problem space wise.

Another question about video cards. I was told lonog ago there is no such thing as a stupid question. So…
If I add a second video card, do they act like memory sticks? Would they work together and increase the speed?

There is SLI (from Nvidia), or Crossfire tech (from AMD), which supports connecting two or more video cards together, adding to the performance of a single video card. It's a big performance boost for a high-end gaming computer. The actual cards have to support that (and the motherboard, of course), and you have to use an operating system that supports that, too (macOS does not, but I suppose there may be hacks that do support that under macOS)
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/sli-vs-crossfire/

I don't know much about video cards and haven't even had time to look inside to see what the difference is between these two. I have a 2012 3.2 ghz Mac Pro Quad Core with an ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB Video Card. I also have a 2008 2.8 Mac Pro Quad Core with a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB. I'd like to swap the video cards. Is this possible? As always, Thank you for your valuable input.
In a word, yes.

Back