2009 Macbook Upgrade Issue

tester1

Registered
I have a 2009 Macbook with the follow specs:

2.26 GHz Inter Core 2 Duo
2GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I have installed Yosemite on it and it does run, albeit very slow, but it's tolerable.

However when I try to run Xcode 6.1 with Swift, it is incredibly slow to the point where it is basically unuseable. I only have 2gigs of RAM which is the minimum for Yosemite, so I am curious if I were to upgrade to either four or eight gigs, would Xcode be able to run fluidly or at least more quickly?
Thanks

Yes! Xcode is requires a lot of memory, and honestly, everyone will benefit from an upgrade from 2GB at this point. I used the same model until I upgraded a few months ago. I highly recommend upgrading to 8GB. Don't bother going to 4; if you're going to do this, go all the way.

You should consider upgrading to an SSD as well (either replacing the HD or optical drive), as it will increase general performance as well (especially boot time and application launch times).

Yosemite does strain the 2009 model a little bit, but I found that it performed well enough when I disabled the transparency effects in System Preferences.

I have a 2009 Macbook with the follow specs:

2.26 GHz Inter Core 2 Duo
2GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I have installed Yosemite on it and it does run, albeit very slow, but it's tolerable.

However when I try to run Xcode 6.1 with Swift, it is incredibly slow to the point where it is basically unuseable. I only have 2gigs of RAM which is the minimum for Yosemite, so I am curious if I were to upgrade to either four or eight gigs, would Xcode be able to run fluidly or at least more quickly?
Thanks

Download the free application EtreCheck and run it. It will print out a report that will list apps, services, plugins, etc. the report will point out the apps and "services" that will not load or are incompatible . If you highlight the bad service it will point yout you to the file location to manually delete those bad files. Just make sure you reboot after doing all your deleteing. This should help speed up your "upgrade"!

Last edited:
I went ahead and upgraded to 8 gigs. It runs pretty well! I will disable transparency effects as soon as possible. Thank you all!

Back