200gb Maxtor Drive shows 127gb. lost 60gb

miklos@sympatic

Registered
I have a 200gb maxtor drive which crashed, once it came back it shows up as a127gb drive. Disk Utility shows it as 189.92GB, with a sub drive of 127gb. First went to getInfo and unlocked permissions, then I tried partitioning the Maxtor, without change. How can I recover my disk, is there a utility I can use?

Mik

Which Mac are you using? There are some Macs that could only use that large drive if it has been formatted prior to installation. Reformatting may leave you with only 128GB (maximum size with many older IDE buses). An older OS (older than OS X 10.2, I think) may not provide formatting for larger drives. It's really a function of the IDE bus, but the OS has to support this, too.

And if the Mac is older/does not support large drives over 127GB, there's always the option of getting a new UDMA (aka. ATA, IDE) card (assuming of course you're not using an iMac or eMac whcih have no PCI slots). The newer cards will support large drives as long as your OS version supports them.

Did you originally use Disk Utility to format the drive? Then you can use Disk Utility to repair the drive. If this is your master drive, you need to boot up with the OS CD. Then at the installer window, go to the Installer Menu and select Disk Utility. You also need to use Mac Extended format when you format.

Most computers, Mac or PC like to see their larger HD's minus a few gigs... I had this problem with a PC i built... A 200 gig HD showed up as a 120gig or so.

If you reformat your drive, you should see the drive as 200GB. I'll echo the others by saying, boot up from the disk, use Disk Utilities and reformat that puppy!

Back