200Gig Apple Entertainment Server?

Is there such a thing beeing planned? I heard about this throgh the grapevine multple times. Does anyone have futher information on this rumor?

you could make one yourself quite easily. get a cube from ebay or a mac dealer. get a video card with s-video/tv out. get a usb sound card (if you want surround sound) get a usb-infrared remote control. simple. i plan to do it myself when i have some cash : )

Pengu said:
you could make one yourself quite easily. get a cube from ebay or a mac dealer. get a video card with s-video/tv out. get a usb sound card (if you want surround sound) get a usb-infrared remote control. simple. i plan to do it myself when i have some cash : )
Or just get an EyeTV and a projector.

I don't really get what the big deal would be with such an entertainment center.

Kap

Ceroc Addict said:
I don't really get what the big deal would be with such an entertainment center.
For example recording movies in a quite good quality (when using digital tv), buffering tv programs so that you can take a long toilet break and won't miss a thing, record more than 1 channel at the same time, listen to your itunes songs and not have to burn mp3 CDs so you can play it back on your hifi (this implies that your entertainment center is plugged to nice >5.1 speakers)..
For now I think a pc is more suitable for such duties and this is what I am going to get. A rather lowend pc and a huge disc should do fine and covers my missing VPC 7 ;)

Zammy-Sam said:
For example recording movies in a quite good quality (when using digital tv), buffering tv programs so that you can take a long toilet break and won't miss a thing, record more than 1 channel at the same time, listen to your itunes songs and not have to burn mp3 CDs so you can play it back on your hifi (this implies that your entertainment center is plugged to nice >5.1 speakers)..
Nothing above that you can't just do with EyeTV and an iPod/dock.

Kap

I'm not sure which new home building company lenar or champion but in some of their homes they are putting a server in that can basically do what ever the customer wants. These homes now have a centralized brain that can be fed what ever information the owner wants. Every single room has two or three outlets that are wired in some way or monitered by this thing. If an individual wants to hook up tv monitors, speakers, alarms it all can go through this. Sprinkler systems and television via tivo can all be programed. I guess the negative side is if you build a swiss army knife like product that controls and does everything and it happens to go down or get stolen you up the river without a paddle. I think apple knows that and believes in multiple products. Build the best corkscrew in the world, the best knife the best mp3 player... not the best swiss army knife.

Ceroc Addict said:
Nothing above that you can't just do with EyeTV and an iPod/dock.

Kap
Really?? Hmmmm, guess I should take a closer look even though 40gb from an iPod seems a bit weak for a harddisk recorder.

Zammy-Sam said:
Really?? Hmmmm, guess I should take a closer look even though 40gb from an iPod seems a bit weak for a harddisk recorder.
I didn't mean as a harddisk for the EyeTV, I meant using the iPod to listen to mp3 on your speakers. :p

Kap

Sounds like an iBox to me. We came out clean on the color ipod, now it seems we might be able to make good on the iBox as well. I tell ya, although slow and off a little bit, I might start release more of the stuff I am hearing from my sources.

ScottW: Please do _not_ again do this. Quite clearly, your iBox rumour was quite wrong. Back when you posted it, it was _not_ released. If Apple would be planning something similar now, that does not make any old rumour any more true. ;)

Your second link don't work, msngLink. And does your name, in some way, tell us you're a Microsoft evangelist? ;) Coz I don't like those. At all.

Short answer is that these rumors are not *entirely* unfounded.
Apple have quietly announced an intention to move further into consumer electronics, extending the digital hub idea somewhat. They've set a target date as the end of 2005 for launching a number of new consumer-line products such as televisions and home entertainment components.

Frankly, I could really see an Apple built TV set as being the ultimate in cool. Its mostly speculation at this point, but its something to look forward to.

On the question of what the options are at the moment though ...

"For example recording movies in a quite good quality (when using digital tv), buffering tv programs so that you can take a long toilet break and won't miss a thing, record more than 1 channel at the same time" The EyeTV will handle all these tasks easily.

"listen to your itunes songs and not have to burn mp3 CDs so you can play it back on your hifi..." Hey, have you ever heard of Airport Express? I have one on my lounge room stereo, and it is fantastic... I'd highly recommend it.

symphonix said:
"listen to your itunes songs and not have to burn mp3 CDs so you can play it back on your hifi..." Hey, have you ever heard of Airport Express? I have one on my lounge room stereo, and it is fantastic... I'd highly recommend it.

Or just run a cable from the audio out <G>. Works great and it's cheap ($5 at Radio Shack).

symphonix said:
"For example recording movies in a quite good quality (when using digital tv), buffering tv programs so that you can take a long toilet break and won't miss a thing, record more than 1 channel at the same time" The EyeTV will handle all these tasks easily.

Can the EyeTV record more than one channel at once?

I've recently bought an EyeTV, but as I'm yet to even get a signal on it, I don't really know what other features it supports.

Back