200Gig Apple Entertainment Server?

Well, even if I look more deeply into elgato.com's website, it doesn't anywhere state that its products sport more than one tuner... So I guess, really, you _can't_ record more than one channels at the same time or even watch another channel while recording - unless you're using an additional TV set, which of course defies the purpose.

We can only hope that IF Apple does release some kind of media server, it will be decked-out with all the goodies. 2 Tuner HDTV, iTunes and iPhoto integration as well as some kind of central control software such as Windows Media Center Edition, only better! U could also add Satellite radio, DVR fuctions..... My mind is just flowing with stuff.....
Well the way Im going the dam thing will cost too much $$$$$$

I'm surprised that Apple hasn't done more with their digital hub concept. Really all there is(besides apps) the iPod and Airport Express. AE kindof sucks unless your computer is in the same room as your stereo, or if you buy the remote that just came out for it(from 3rd party company, and only infrared).

It would be great to have a central media hub or something to house all music and photos if you wanted. It'd also be great to be able to share music without having to open iTunes on the other computer. Like have some separate background program running all the time if you check enable sharing in iTunes.

And why not make this hub a suped up PVR :D

I would settle for a lot less than that, but with plenty of allowance for later expansion.

For instance, HDTV is just overkill when most places have yet to even get SDTV digital broadcasts, and when most displays aren't big enough to even show the difference up. However, I'd like to have HDTV as a later-on option, and not with yet another little black box!1

When it comes to thinking about it, I would say the best approach at the moment would be to try and counter the complexity of the current pile of components on many people's TV-cabinet. I'm picturing an integrated DVD-writer drive and hard drive. I'm imagining neat, modular connections that allow you to plug in 10 game systems and add on components. I'm imagining adding on sattelite, cable, HDTV, Video cassette and so on without having any more remotes or little black boxes (or worse yet, silverish plastic boxes). I'm suggesting firewire connections for video cameras, and of course iChat AV.

Of course, at this stage Apple are still only treating consumer electronics as a potential way that they might expand into new areas, but one that they are definitely researching. Whether they'll actually do it or not depends on a lot of factors ... Will it be cost effective? Will it be in keeping with Apple's image? Will there be a market for it? Can it be sustainable? Will it cut into or boost sales of their other products and services?

HP and Dell are also considering moving into the consumer electronics area in roughly the same timeframe (End of 2005 to mid 2006) so it'll be interesting to see how things play out.

Back