24" iMac memory config

mindbend

Registered
I notice the 24" iMac (and some other configs of the new iMacs) support 3 GB of RAM.

I'm confused by this. There are two RAM slots as I understand it. So one slot holds 1 GB and the other holds 2GB? Why can't they both hold 2 GB for 4 GB total?

I was just online to order a 24", but I wanted to get extra RAM from a third party, but wasn't sure what I needed to order. It doesn't look like Apple lets you get 1x1GB (allowing me to order a 2GB third party). So it seems I'd have to throw away Apple's memory in order to fill it up to 3GB, right?

(After looking a bit online, it seems the 1x2GB modules are still pretty pricey, so I think I may just get the 2x1GB for now.)

According to Apple, you can install 2 x 2GB sticks, and the Mac will work, but the system cannot recognize more than 3GB total. As expensive as the 2GB sticks are, a big waste to have 2 installed. So, 2GB + 1GB is the maximum.

Apple will build your machine with a 2gig and a 1gig when you order, so why not just do it instead of getting 2gigs now, and then wishing you got 3 and paying more later?

If you haven't noticed, ordering RAM from Apple is much more expensive than buying that memory yourself. When I was buying my macbook, I wanted to have 2GB of RAM but if I had ordered my Macbook with 2GB of RAM, that would have added an extra £350. I bought the memory from Crucial instead, for £150. If I was willing to go with the generic/unbranded memory, I could have saved even more.

Back