3 Beep Blues

Bodhidogma

Registered
I am sure the mac vets know this story by heart: my three year old intentionally spilled a glass of apple juice on my G4 iBook. At the time I didn't know she did it, and when I went to reboot, NOTHING happened.

So I went online and many said not to worry, just turn it off for a few days and let it dry out.

I did. And on the first reboot it seemed back to normal, but it needed a charge. So I powered down and plugged it in.

Since then, when I try to reboot, I have gotten nothing but three beeps and a dead screen (it has been about five days now and I try once a day).

I would try to reboot from my OS disc, but it has been lost in a recent house move.

Normally I would just kiss it goodby and get a new one, but I have important
files for my dissertation.

Any and all comments are welcomed!

Thanks.

3 Beeps is a memory (RAM) fault. remove your memory card, and try to boot. If you still get the 3 beeps, then your logic board has failed. If it gets further into the boot process, then your could be OK, and you can try replacing your memory (or even reseating your existing memory chip). The failing memory test probably prevents anything else from happening.

If you still can't boot, then you can get the data off your hard drive by removing it, and installing in an external case. Quite a job, though.... Lots of screws to remove, and you will almost completely disassemble your iBook!

Back