3 Monitor Set-up and OS X

redlinzus

Registered
I have a 3 monitor set-up that I can't live without... The three monitors are essential because I do a ton of stock trading and also design work that uses every square inch of the three monitors...

Just like the Beta, OS X 1.0 will not install unless I yank the 3rd graphics card. I get a kernel panic if I don't yank teh card.

My question is this: Has anyone gotten 3 monitors to work on OS X?

I am hoping that it's the fact that I have an old crappy ATI VR card that is pre-G3 as my third card. If I get a newer card I am hoping that it will work. But if Mac OS X won't support 3 monitors for now, well it looks like it will be 9.1 for a while to come for me :(

Thanks!

-red

scruffy

Notorious Olive Counter
What happens if you take the second video card out, and put in the crappy old ATI VR in its place. That would tell you whether OS X will talk to that card at all...

lmobrien

Registered
I too have three monitors and all three work spiffiliciously :) I'm using the Radeon AGP card as primary with older ATI NexusGA and XClaimPro cards for the other two. The only caveat is that the screen saver is s-l-o-w and only one desktop pattern is allowed for all three screens.

Now if only the other OS X problems were so easy ;)

redlinzus

Registered
I just needed to hear that 3 monitors are working...

Alas though, I have bigger problems in that OS X freezes constantly on me as in hard freeze and hit the power button...

Of course 9.1 crashes 3-5 times a day on me despite constant maintenance and clean installs...

I have a hardware problem somewhere in my machine and I have a sneaking suspicion I will never find it...

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
2 19s and 2 21s.
Right now I have the 4 ATI Rage 128 cards [1 pro for agp]. Works great.
I just got a decent deal on PCI Radeons, but I really want an AGP Radeon for my primary display [and for quake3]. Anyway, sounds like its a driver support problem on that older card you have.

kilowatt

mach-o mach-o man
Originally posted by Fahrvergnuugen
2 19s and 2 21s.
Drool.....

offets

Registered
Originally posted by Fahrvergnuugen
2 19s and 2 21s.
I just got a decent deal on PCI Radeons, but I really want an AGP Radeon for my primary display [and for quake3]. Anyway, sounds like its a driver support problem on that older card you have.
You could really use multiple desktops...