3rd Magsafe caught on fire

ErikV

Registered
my magsafe caught on fire where the thin wire from the adapter meets the transformer enclosure. luckily I put it out before it did any serious damage to anything else, but the thin copper wire is exposed and has been burnt to a crisp at the point of the fire, prior to this, the wire was completely sealed, the wire was exposed due to the rubber melting away. this is my 3rd magsafe, by now ive been taking proper care of it and inspecting it daily, as I have lost one due to transformer enclosure overheating (replaced for free), and one to physical damage where the connecter pins dont function properly (my fault for straining the cable).

ive taken good care of this one, and it honestly hasnt moved at all, it was on my desk, perfectly straight no strain on that joint, and it just started to burn.

I went to apple right away, even though i had to wait 2 hours, ended up calling the manager of the location, him and the person at the "genius" bar put the blame on me for setting the cable on fire.

I would have loved for them to replace it free, as this is a serious hazzard, given the fact that i follow on a daily basis the extact care instructions the company provides for this product so these problems dont happen. I would have even accepted responsibility and paid for a new one, but they failed to even recognize that this is a known issue, and proceed to accuse me of setting it on fire on purpose!

Is there any kind of non-apple product that can be used as a direct replacement to this magsafe adapter? I have already got 3 of these magsafe ones and they have all failed for some reason or another, once due to my own fault, and twice for overheating/fire (faulty components/manufacturing)

the price of the adapter would be fair if i knew I would be getting something that worked, but after 3 failures in just over a year I dont want to pay 80$ for something that will burn down my work area and prevent me from making money working. im on the verge of dropping Apple, and will do what ever it takes to make sure nobody I know spends a cent at Apple if I cant resolve this issue within the next day or 2.

magfail.jpg

i believe there is replacement do u have a MacBook or MacBook Pro? I will look into a replacement and repost

What are you doing to them? I bet you were using the cable to remove it from the MacBook instead of the connector. Hence o Eric a little time the bare wires are exposed resulting in he "three failures" and the fire. Maybe you should take a long look in how you remove cables from ports, always by the port end and never by the cabe itself.

What are you doing to them? I bet you were using the cable to remove it from the MacBook instead of the connector. Hence o Eric a little time the bare wires are exposed resulting in he "three failures" and the fire. Maybe you should take a long look in how you remove cables from ports, always by the port end and never by the cabe itself.

Isn't the point of the MagSafe is for it to be pulled out by the cord (ie trip on it) without the power brick being damaged? i have NEVER heard of a power supply catch fire. For this to happen it has to be a SEVERE design flaw and hazard. Things like this happen to the Intel Macs i have heard nothing bout problems from Intel Macs things like this never happened to iBooks and PowerBooks.

Back