5% of all Windows installs crash 2 or more times a day?

Ripcord

Senior Lurker
From this article:

Microsoft Moves to Weather Time of Slow Growth

(It's a NYT article, so free registration is required) comes this comment:

Mr. Gates acknowledged today that the company's error reporting service indicated that 5 percent of all Windows-based computers now crash more than twice each day.

I wonder what percentage crash only once per day?

I have to say that this doesn't fit with my personal experience. I use PCs most of the time (Win2k mostly, or sometimes WinXP) and they rarely crash - MAYBE once per week (Then again my B&W Mac has crashed once that I can remember, my Dig. Aud. G4 has gone to lunch once this year (not so much a crash as things went a bit haywire and I needed to reboot)). However, I wonder if Mr. Gates thought this was an OK stat or not? I know that if, say, 5% of cars died more than twice a day, more than 5% of refrigerators needed to be unplugged and replugged in more than twice a day to get them working, etc. that there'd be a consumer revolt.

Rip

i used a friend's PC to play a game and it crashed 10 minutes in, so i believe those statistics

I report about half the stuff, but when XP programs crash 10 times in a row I tend to not report the errors any more...

That statistic is completely, 100% accurate because of the surveillance software built into Windows that Microsoft uses to spy on your computer.

:D

On another forum someone calculated just how many people that was that had this bad XP experience. He came up with a number of over 27 million. Then that's more than the total number of Mac users worlwide.:D

Does that include those crashes of the crash of the crash report appliation?

yes i believe it. i still use a pc equiped with windows XP. I thought it was great and it was for the first 6 months. now it crashes routinely but only on certain programs. the problem is when it crashes during maintainance defrags, that pisses me off. im thinkin about getting a discontinued Power Mac G4 1.25Ghz. the price is right.

The sad fact is that this is not news. Most every honest x86 user will tell you all about their crashing computer. However, most every PC troll/advocate will yell, in their loudest voice, that this not true, Mac users are making this up, "not on my computer/gaming machine", etc.

All this does is give an Apple user a good signature.

it really isnt the os, it is all of those task bar pieces of crap that people install. I take care of my parents typist and once i close all of the crap she has put on her computer, it works pretty decent. With them turned on, it crashes every two seconds.

it is all of those task bar pieces of crap

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what are task bars in Windows? Ive never had to use windows for an extended period of time.

The Taskbar is the thing that wishes it could be the Dock. It contains all your open applications, hotclickable shortcuts, and the Start menu, all in ugly text buttons.

What Zeigan was referring to are the programs that run in the background, their icons are usually in the System Tray, which is next to the clock, in the taskbar...

For example, i have MSN messenger, AIM, Kazaa, Norton, and a few other things running in the background...if you get too much stuff, it might cause windows to screw up...thats more common in 95 and 98 though...

Attachments

• systray.gif
    systray.gif
    10.2 KB · Views: 17
thank you i never knew what that was called, i def think the dock is 100 times better but that's just me

The Dock seems to have some nice features, however i don't own a mac yet (working on it..) so i wouldn't really know much about how it operates. Does OSX still have the menu on the right side of the menu bar that older versions of the OS had for application switching? Was it called the finder menu? I dunno..

Arden. I agree. The Taskbar is alot like nothing. It sucks and it tried to be a wanna be of the dock but it never got to be. So toobad. I guess Longhorn or Blackcomb would be interesting. NOT!

Does OSX still have the menu on the right side of the menu bar that older versions of the OS had for application switching? Was it called the finder menu? I dunno..

no it doesnt, instead there is a triangle pointing to the app's running in the dock, i like more than in pre X operating systems

Back