5 Windows XP computers, and 1 mac OS X

blackoutspy

Registered
I just got the new 17' Ti and im tryin to get some of my music on to the laptop from my windows machine. I dont know how to set this up on both ends, windows and mac. I need to know what needs to be done to both computer so that i can access the files on my windows machines with my laptop. Any help would be much appreciated.

how i did it is go to the windows drive that you want accessible and right click on it (i did the c drive) and there is an option called sharing. click on that sharing option, and you get a dialog box which is pretty much self explanitory.
the box should have a share option (full access, partial access etc.) and then boxes for you to set the username and password. configure it and save the settings and then go into osx and connect.
to connect from osx all you need to do is press command-k and wait for rendezvous to find the machine you are connecting to, and then select the drive you just enabled sharing on, select it and enter your username and password and the windows drive should show up on your iMac.
i never could figure out how to use windows to connect to the mac, but i can do anything to the pc i want from the mac.

Awsome i'll try that in a bit when my friends are off the windows box. I hope it works. But if it doesn't im sure you'll read about it;-)

It doesn't seem to be working, I can see the other windows computers while im on a windows machine, but my mac laptop doesn't see the other computers. The two computres im trying to get things between(mac and XP) are connected to a hub. Does that have anything to do with it?

Well IE just ate my post so I will type it all again :(.

First off I'm going to assume that you are running OS 10.2 because that is a brand new PB :).

To be able to connect to your Mac from Windows it's pretty simple to enable shares on MacOS 10.2. There are just two steps to allowing each user to get to his/her Home directories. First just open System Prefs (Apple -> System Preferences) and go to “Sharing”. Once in there just enable “Windows File Sharing”. While in here you should rename your computer if you have not done this yet. Change the Computer name and Rendezvous name (to the same thing) to a real name. Something with no spaces is preferred. Now to select which users can login from Windows simply go to the “Accounts” pane and double click on the users(s) that you want to enable Windows access by clicking the bottom checkbox (Note you will have to auth by typing your password). There you have it it’s that easy. Now to connect to your Mac from Windows just hit Windows Key + R (Run…) and type "\\computerName" and it will ask you for your username and passwd.

Now to connect to your Windows XP (I’m going to assume Pro) from your Mac is a little more tricking in a way. First thing I would do is disable ghey “Simple File Sharing”. To do this just open “My Computer” and go to Tools -> Folder Options. Jump to the “View” tab and scroll to the bottom of the Advanced settings and uncheck “Use simple file sharing (Recommended)”. Now all you have to do is right click on the folder/drive you want to share and just select the “Share this folder” and add a “New Share” label it what you will (preferably something short) and check the Permissions and set it the way you want it to be set. You should probably remove the “Everyone” group and add just the users you wish to have permissions to those shares. Now to connect to these from OS 10.2 just hit Command+K ([Finder] Go -> Connecto to Server…) and type in smb://computerName.

And that should do it…

(This was too long to proof so sorry for any mistakes)
Hope that helps,
\\\\ bootleg

Well being able to log into my mac from my windows worked like cake, as macs usualy do im told. But to go the other way it just isn't connecting. I think it has something to do with the fact that on my lan, that computer also can't host any type of game. I think i may have enabled some sort of firewall that denies connections to that computer. Which doesn't really matter because if i can log in from my windows machine to my mac i can just upload the files i need instead of downloading them to my mac from windows. Thanks for all the help:D

Why is it scary? When I get online I open up 2 Macosx.com windows: new threads and threads I've posted to. I just go through them for some time, especially if it's during certain periods at school when I have nothing else to do (TA, calculus).

At this point, i can access my mac from windows, but not the other way around. And i can't find much info on how to make my windows machine accessable from the mac, so im going to put down this problem for a little but, and come back some other time, I'm gettin to furstrated, and if it works one way i can still transfer my files, so at least it half-way works;)

Well, now i just got my aiport extreme and i set it all up, but now my windows machine can't connect to my mac. is there som sort of firewall inside the airport that i need to turn off, or port i need to allow?

Did you enable Windows Sharing in the System Preferences? Did you find anything even remotely similar in Windows?

Well i enable file sharing for windows in my mac, And enabled what i thought was the windows equivalent. I shared a folder. and i set it up for a network that is connected to a hub. But i think there is a firewall or something enabled. And i had thought i found it and disbaled it but still no go.

blackoutspy:
I have had a lot of trouble "browsing" to Windows computers in OSX... but basically what you should be able to do is -
right click on Windows folder you want to share and select "properties".
go to sharing tab and put in the share name and access level (ie everyone etc)
select "Go -> Connect to server" from the Finder menu"
type in "smb://computer_ip_address/your_share_name/" and click connect.
this should bring up a password prompt for a login id.

As I said I haven't had it work so easily as you would expect, unfortunately "everyone" under XP still forces me to type a login and password for that share. If I try to just go in anonymously (ie type nothing) it rejects me... Don't know who's fault, Apple/Micro, it is. ;)

That should get you sharing to Windows and also accessing Windows shares as well.

Ok, i've got a new one for you guys. When i check windows sharing on my mac, IT WONT STAY CHECK! not matter what i do, it comes unchecked when i close the prefrence pane, or just click anywhere else. I have a airport connection so i dont know if thats whats doing it, but there is some weird stuff goin on

Back