6.4GFlops on 800Mhz Itanium

rharder

Do not read this sign.
According to Microsoft's Windows XP website:
Windows XP 64-Bit Edition also takes advantage of the increased floating-point performance, or the raw number of calculations that can be processed in a given period of time, of the Intel Itanium platform. An 800-Mhz processor running at peak performance is capable of up to 6.4 GFLOPS—essential power for data-crunching scenarios such as Mechanical Computer Aided Engineering (MCAE) and financial operations.
Isn't that exactly half the "peak performance" of the dual-800Mhz G4 - which is still only 32bit?

I really was hoping for more from the Itanium.

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/techinfo/howitworks/64bit/02section02.asp

-Rob

Thats a lot of ram, but it is only for the 64 bit system, what blows me away and I hope apple is listening, abillity for upto 16 terrabytes of ram that is a small sand dune!!!! The 1 gb isn't that bad with the way ram prices are right now, 256mb for $30, I could afford 1 gb on my home machine

Check out www.pricewatch.com . They've got some super-cheap ram listed. Even www.crucial.com has cheap ram.

Still, it seems odd that the minimum requirements for an OS would be one gigabyte of RAM. Unless Windows XP 64-bits Edition isn't coming out until 2010, that's just fat for an OS today.

-Rob

Yeah, that is microsoft for yah...

I wonder if the 6.4 GFlops is even running XP64, or if it is running a bare minimum version of Unix. I am assuming that this is the server version of XP and not the client, right? I would assume that they require that much memory to be able to support all of the networking and internet tasks out of the box.

As far as the memory prices go, yeah... I just bought 3 256mb chips (PC133 CL2) for $145 including tax & shipping. Got it for the new 733 that my boss just ordered... that machine is going to be fun to play with. =)

I haven't heard about any limitations on memory for OSX. I know that OS9 was limited to a total of 1.5GB. I would assume that Apple changed that with OS X, and that the only limit for the mac now is the hardware. Wouldn't it be great to be able to drop three 1GB chips in there?

One more thing... with memory getting so cheap and so large, how long do you think it will be until there are Flash RAM 4GB+ drives that would work as the main drive (with a hard drive for backup). I mean OS and all Apps running off of the Flash... forget SCSI and IDE. The dock icons wouldn't even bounce... just click and work.

1 GB of RAM for windows wont be that bad. New Microsoft brand RAM is going to automatically intergrated :p into your system. All for the competitive price of $400 per GB!

Wow! what will they intergate next?

I have a Blue & White G3 running at 350Mhz.
I have one slot filled up with the 64Mb chip it came with, the second one with a 128Mb chip I got before I put the PB on... and now I have 2 more empty as far as I know....

I think I use PC100 RAM ... can anyone verify this for me please:rolleyes: ?
Secondly, I think I can fill em up with 256Mb chips right ? (512Mb chips arent supported by my machine I think).

So the question is :
Should I buy my RAM online and have it shipped...
or should I go to the store and get it ?
I have no problem buying books online... but tech stuff that I have to install I am weary of :cool:
Do you guys think I will get an equally good price on RAM if I go to CompUSA, microcenter, or just my local computer superstore ?

Admiral

I have a B&W 400 at work, and it has 4 slots. I do not know if it will take the 512mb, but I don't think so. I do have two 256mb and one 128mb for a grand total of 640mb. One of the chips that I have in there is a PC133 CL2, the same that the new G4's run with. There is very little speed benefit, but I like the option of moving it over to a G4 later.

As far as your concerns...

That is why I like crucial... it is the only memory manufacturer (that I know of) that sells direct to the consumer. (Crucial is a division of Micron). They guarantee their memory, and if it is bad, just ship it back. They are one of the nicest companies to work with as far as memory goes. The only issue that I have had with crucial is with my current order (placed yesterday)... they wrote me an email stating that the memory chips that I requested will be delayed about 7 days because of backorder.

They used to have free shipping, but now it is $5 (UPS 2nd Day) which is not bad considering most websites on pricewatch have $12+.

They are not the cheapest, but they are (in my opinion) of the highest quality.

Side note: Pricewatch has PC133 64mb chips for $5 each.

Apple machines DO NOT support "high density" ram, which some companies on pricewatch don't display as prominently as they should. HD ram is supported by a few specific boards... specifically Athlon/VIA chipsets. So... buyer beware. I got a stick of it knowingly earlier this year as a test, but that was because I had someone who would buy the stick off me if it didn't work, which -WAS- the case in my 500DP system.

Pricewatch is a boon if you watch your ass, because you've got tons of local vendors doing business and vying (sp?) for your dollahs... It'd be interesting to know just how much pricewatch has effected memory prices... I know TONS of people that use it almost exclusively to make hardware purchases. The best advice I can give to people who want to get into the fray is to RESEARCH your hardware VERY DEEPLY. Ask your local guru and go to the tutorial sites.

It used to be that the latency listed in nanoseconds was a real indication of memory performance (most list about 7.5ns nowadays) but this is only for the subsequent reads after the initial memory access, which can take up to 10 times longer to access (don't quote me... I'm probably erring on the heavy side). So it goes WAAAIT-- read read read read (the number of reads depends on a few things... I think it's somewhere from 3 to 5). So, the 7.xns that's quoted to you is -really- the speeds of the secondary reads... not the initial read latency, which is the big performance kicker when doing lots of random memory access. The frequency (100/133) is what the memory is being clocked at; how often commands can be sent. I forgot I was writing this and went and made coffee... so I'm going to send now before I have to go to work ;)

I get my ram from www.memorytogo.com
They have the cheapest prices that I've seen and I know their RAM works. I got 1GB of it about 5 months ago and it only cost me 126 bucks. It even survived the FirmWare update that killed a lot of peoples ram.

My roomate just got a Titan 733 and I noticed that it only has 3 memory slots. My older Dual 500 has 4 slots, but I was cheap and bought 256MB chips. I remember reading somewhere that you could put 2GB of ram in my machine but OS9 would only recognize 1.5GB of it. Has this changed [I hope] with OSX?

1.5GB max is kinda weak. Think about it, that spec hasn't changed since the G4 came out! Apple definatly needs to hop this up at the next macworld.

The RAM problem is very much like the old 32-bit dirty systems that Apple put out back in 88-90 (like the SE/30 and the IIcx). What happens is that you can put in as much as you want, but only about 1.5GB is available for apps, the rest looks like the Finder is using it. This is a problem of the old Finder and not Mac OS X. There was also a time when you couldn't allocate more than 100MB (actually 99,999KB) because of the number of spaces the Get Info memory panel could take. There was a work around that involved ResEdit, but Apple later fixed the problem (boy, those were the days).

My brother had a similar problem with an 80GB Firewire hard drive. File sizes were artificially increased from like 300K to 4MB, etc. Turned out he needed to make it HFS+ not HFS.

-Rob

Memory update :p
Ok... I just bought a Newton 2100.
Now next on the list RAM. I took a look at crucial, memory to go, and another site suggested by me.
Memory to go is EXPENSIVE compared to others.

A 256Mb chip for my Yosemite costs $39.95 on Crucial and the other site but on memory to go it costs $68.

Admiral

I got mine :D
It's gonna be here friday ;)
2 256Mb chips for $90 (approx) with shipping
I dont get why I was charged tax though.

Down with internet taxes!

Admiral

Even though I live in the Los Angeles area, and I buy my memory from the East Coast, they still charge me Sales Tax because I live in a State that they happen to have an office in. It doesn't make a lot of since, but that is government for you.

Speaking of numerical probs, I think I was in OS X's disk first aid when I selected a firewire cdr's cd, and the program said something like:
42 TB.

Yall have too much ram! Hehe, ok, I'm jellus... and I can't spell either.

AK, How do you like the newton? I still haven't made a PDA choice. And how much did it cost you?

Back