7B85 Not Reliable!

Imagine

Registered
I installed 7B85 on my G5 2.0, and installed Logic. That went well, but when I tried installing the plugins, repaired permissions and rebooted, I get as far as seeing the desktop, but there's no menu bar, and all that pops up is the time on the upper right side. I can't see the drives on the desktop as well.

I can't use Norton from the startup disk, cause the G5 doesn't work with 10.2.3
I tried using Disk Warrior, and it is repairing something, but when I start up again, the identical thing happens, no menu bar or drives.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Dean

i had the same prob with the finder, so i did a clean install, and all is fine again... so far...

no logic here, just a bunch of graphics progs

is it always logic? because i dont have logic, but i dont know what else it would be, i havent gone through and installed things yet again....

I'd suggest not trusting Norton with OS X, esp. on a new unreleased OS!! From my experience it causes more harm than it does good

No, Logic works fine, but when I install the plugins such as Waves, Autotune etc..., this is when I can't reboot. I don't know which plugin it is or if that's even the problem. I'm assuming there's a repair utility on the market that will work with Panther/G5? Maybe not!

I might have the solution...
I believe your issue to be this:
System boots to desktop, and you can see the background image, but nothing on the desktop, no menu bar, no dock, and some of the menu extras still appear in the upper right corner.

If this is the case, I have seen this problem numerous times before, and most of the time there is a corrupted preference file in your ~/Library/Preferences folder. I believe the issue is with one of the Finder .plist files, so if you can boot from another drive that gives you access to the directory structure, try deleting the Finder preferences. If that doesn't work, try moving the whole preferences folder to another location in your home folder.

If you have no access to a second boot drive, you can always try booting into single user mode, mount the file system, and delete or move the preferences from the CLI.

It is possible that there is some incompatibility with Logic and 10.3 that corrupts the finder's preferences, and thus inducing your problem.

vikingshelmut,

Thanks for the info. Where would I find the Finder Pref.? I do have another drive to boot from. There's no such file in the Library ~ Pref.

Well, there should be a file called Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. If there is not, I would be supprised (I'm looking at it right now on my panther system).
I may not have been clear, and you may be looking in the wrong library folder.

If you can navigate the file system while booted from the drive, you may not be experiencing the same problem I was describing. Otherwise, try booting into single user mode to fix the issue. You will have to mount the file system (I can't remember the exact commands right now, but it is documented somewhere on this forum) but after booting into single user mode, type something like 'mount -uw /' to give yourself read/write access. Then navigate to the same directory listed above, look for that file, then delete it using the rm command.

Like I said though, if you can currently boot up, and open finder windows, this may not be the correct procedure to attempt, so TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK! (I don't want to be responsible if you rm your whole directory!)

I removed the com.apple.finder.plist and finder.plist, but no go. It must be a more serious issue. Maybe Panther's not ready for certain programs...

Thanks again

You say you're having trouble when you install plugins? Well, install one plugin at a time and and reboot each time. When you encounter trouble, the culprit is the last plugin you installed.

And when you're working in the Terminal, always type "man some_terminal_command" before you do anything so you know exactly what that command does and what you can do with it, like "man rm."

It's a little more complicated than that. When I installed the plugins, I used the FXPansion to convert the plugins from VST to AU. I booted up Logic, and everything worked. I then wanted to make sure everything was in working condition, so I repaired permissions, and rebooted, which is where the problem starts...

Is there any way of bypassing the Finder, or changing the menu preference?

Thx

Ok, I tried rebooting again with Command + S, and it worked. This is the error message I received.

localhost:/ root# ASC:: rWPM WARNING: Couldn't find IOPlatformMonitor

Anyone know what this means?

Thanks again

Originally posted by Imagine
…Maybe Panther's not ready for certain programs...

Thanks again

I do understand what you mean here, but it kind of ticks me off when people say things like, "Panther's not ready for prime-time!" and the like. Rather, maybe certain programs aren't ready for Panther. Really, it's not Panther's fault if app x doesn't run in Panther. It's up to app x's developer(s) to release an update to make their app compatible, which, to be realistic, probably ain't gonna happen until after Panther launch.
So, you can either wait until, hopefully shortly, after the 24th to see if a patch/update to Logic is released, or you can do some serious, time-consuming troubleshooting:

i.e.-
Reformat your hard drive.
Install Panther.
Once Panther is setup and installed, create another user and give that user admin privileges.
Turn off auto-login.
Repair permissions and reboot.
Install Logic.
Reboot, if installer doesn't require a reboot.
etc…
Until you pin down what is causing the Finder not to launch. As you may, or may not, have guessed the other admin account is there so that once you get to the point where the Finder doesn't launch for your main account you can try logging in as the other user to see if the problem persists system-wide, or is isolated to the default account.

All that being said, hopefully this isn't a production machine, as it is never wise to install pre-release software on a production machine. Especially a pre-release, currently unsupported Operating System.

Perhaps there were significant changes made to a required framework, and either Logic -or your plugins- are trying to make calls to components that no longer exist…

so this makes me wonder if its a certain type of app and not just logic plugins because i have had similar with my ibook, although like i said i havent gone through and reinstalled any programs yet

Originally posted by cybergoober
I do understand what you mean here, but it kind of ticks me off when people say things like, "Panther's not ready for prime-time!" and the like. Rather, maybe certain programs aren't ready for Panther. Really, it's not Panther's fault if app x doesn't run in Panther. It's up to app x's developer(s) to release an update to make their app compatible, which, to be realistic, probably ain't gonna happen until after Panther launch.
So, you can either wait until, hopefully shortly, after the 24th to see if a patch/update to Logic is released, or you can do some serious, time-consuming troubleshooting:

What, Apple has no responsibility to ensure that their operating system provides backwards compatibility?

It's a fine line of responsibility, but Apple has a HUGE part to play in making sure apps will work. App vendors are NOT going to be happy if they have to continually release new versions of their software every time Apple decides to go tweaking around with something. And just imagine trying to get, say, MS to release a patch to make MS Office "compatible" with Panther. It would be months, if ever!

This is no different than when apple upgraded the "classic" os. I remember waiting for updates to some programs when Apple went from 8.6 to 9.

Any time an update is made to an os, ANY os, there is a chance that some software may need to be updated.

For example, sometimes it is the software vendors fault for using 'outdated' APIs, that work but are no longer supported. Then when then next upgrade to the os comes out these APIs are removed thus 'breaking' the software. And sometimes it is the OS manufactuers fault, but if this improves the reliability/functionality/speed of the OS, then these changes need to be made.

This is one of the reasons Apple seeds developer releases of their OS to the different software companies, so they can test their software and make the necessary changes to ensure compatibility.

Software vendors are constantly updating thier software, not only to ensure compatibilty, but also to provide better performance of thier software.

Just a quick glance at adobe's website showed me the thier new version of photoshop requires an os version of 10.2.4 for compatibility. Does this make them irresponsible for not making thier software 'backward compatible' with people still using os versions before 10.2.4?

Even microsoft released a patch for Office when jaguar came out. They released the 10.1.1 update to make some fixes and:

"This update also addresses several issues that might be caused by running Office v. X using Mac OS 10.2."

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downlo...ceX_1012.xml&secid=5&ssid=11&flgnosysreq=True

So it isn't unconceiveable that with every os update that somethings won't function properly right off the bat.

Imagine:
Since 10.3 isn't officially out, and I'm not blasting you for using it, I'd say it is a little early to call 7b85 unreliable. When the os officially comes out, I'd wait and see if there is some type of update for your plugins that will fix your problem.

Bookem,

According to Angis, FXPansion should work with Panther (10.3)

Cybergoober,

I think Apple has a responsibility to make sure their system is somewhat compatible with current programs, but on the other hand, maybe they're not. I find it odd that after installing the program, and plugins, everything worked, but once I repaired permissions and rebooted, the system no longer worked.

Naodx,

You're right, I should wait for the final release. I've heard so much about 7B85 being GM, I thought I'd risk it...

On another note, anyone know what "IOPlatformMonitor means?

Thanks for your help folks, it's appreciated.

Back