7B85 to be GM

Has anyone gotten VPC 6.1 to work under Panther? I've had the same problems since 7B3x - basically, 1) VPC won't remember created PCs between launches, and 2) VPC won't allow me to assign an existing hard drive image to a PC before or after creation (the drives are simply greyed out).

In a way, I'm kinda hoping that VPC WON'T work under Panther - that way, there may be a little more pressure on Microsoft to put out a newer version, faster (i.e. with G5 support)

Originally posted by wiz
your complaining about bugs in the app. The real question is does the os have any bugs. About the apps it's the individual companies problem to solve.

Well, it's tough to say - if it never crashed under 10.2, then likely it's crashing now because of one of two things: 1) Fundamental changes have been made that make Entourage incompatible (an API change, perhaps they got rid of an undocumented call that Entourage shouldn't have been using in the first place), or 2) There's an OS bug.

It really could easily be either, very good chance it's a Panther bug.

It's killing me... RELASE IT APPLE!!! :) IU DON'T CARE ABOUT BUGS!!! LEAVE EM IN PANTHER... REALEASE IT!!! FIX BUGS IN 10.3.1 :)

Originally posted by Ripcord
Well, it's tough to say - if it never crashed under 10.2, then likely it's crashing now because of one of two things: 1) Fundamental changes have been made that make Entourage incompatible (an API change, perhaps they got rid of an undocumented call that Entourage shouldn't have been using in the first place), or 2) There's an OS bug.

I would bet money on #1 actually... if I had money to bet.

Originally posted by Ripcord

Quite a few of us stopped using Entourage here because it would frequently crash, and end up with an unrepairable database.

Maybe Panther isn't helping, but it's always been a pretty unstable for us :(

Entourage is using depreciated API calls and you can see it in console.log even in Jaguar. Maybe Apple has just removed that API function from the OS.

I have a large problem with Apple just "releasing it" and fixing the bugs later.

This OS is Apple's biggest chance to get back into the corporate and industrial IT game. Release something that's not ready and when most of these places get their one Mac to test and it fails, Apple gets tossed back out again.

Remember, M$ may come out with software with bugs and holes in it the size of the Grand Canyon, but they're established in this area already. People will be less forgiving of Apple in this environment.

Well, Panther _is_ ready. Apple works with bug lists and bug reports from ADC members as well as internal tests. And when those bug lists are down (meaning: the bugs have been fixed), the software is 'ready' for release. Now, when much, much more people start to test this release version, a certain amount of bugs are bound to crop up. And these are then fixed _after_ the release. Just make sure that you test the final version with everything you use your Macintosh for, report the bugs to Apple and you'll see a 10.3.1 soon (or at least hear about its development on rumour sites).

This is just how it is.

i like others, have not seen any OS related bugs in build 80... and all of the programs ive tested (besides OS dependant stuff) work fine

(but at the same time im not playing games or using entourage ;))

Well, not having build 80, due to it not being released on the ADC download, I don't know if my bugs have been corrected. I can tell you this, with the bugs we're experiencing here in build 74, that were primarily gone in 68, there is no way I will be able to upgrade my company from OS 9.

Considering all the uppers here are expecting a finished product ASAP, this could be the start of the PC movement throughout the entire company.

I'm sure my workplace is not the only one that views things like this in this manner.

Originally posted by Captain Code
Entourage is using depreciated API calls and you can see it in console.log even in Jaguar. Maybe Apple has just removed that API function from the OS.

What is a depreciated API call? Also, have you seen / tested the Mail and Calendar apps in Panther, and if so how do they compare to Entourage? Thanks.

Regards,
Marc

A depreciated API call is one that is still there for use by the program, but isn't recommended that they continue using it because Apple could remove it during any later major release.

Especially in Carbon, Apple hasn't been picky about weeding out the bad API calls that people probably should never have had available in the first place. So, it doesn't surprise me that these calls that Entourage was using in a bad way got yanked in 10.3

So, it's really simple... If you _have_ to use Entourage, wait for either Apple or Microsoft to issue an update that fixes the problem(s). Until then, use Entourage in Jaguar, where it's running fine.

And that's how it will be for most other troublesome applications (which aren't many that I am aware of...).

I haven't tried Entourage in Panther since I got my new video card, which hasn't worked in all builds up to 7B68 I think.
It did work in the WWDC seed.

Here's an example from /private/var/log/console.log
Sep 19 09:04:25 My-Mac /Applications/Microsoft Office X/Microsoft Entourage: *** Warning: Line option kATSLineIsDisplayOnly has been deprecated. ***
or
Sep 19 09:04:25 My-Mac /Applications/Microsoft Office X/Microsoft Entourage: *** Warning: ATSUMeasureText has been deprecated. Use ATSUGetUnjustifiedBounds instead. ***

It seems they are using a lot of API calls that aren't supported any more, even on Jaguar(which this is from). It wouldnt' surprise me if Apple has taken those out of Panther.
FYI, an API call is something provided, in this case by Apple, to give easier access to the system to do things such as get information about a window, etc.

Captain Code,

Thanks for the information and log samples. I just got Pocket Mac v3.0 to sync my Dell Axim with my Powermac G4. This version of Pocket Mac will sync with either Entourage or Mail, Calendar, and Address Book. I like Entourage because of the catagories, but if it's broken due to old API calls not being supported in Panther, I'd be more than happy to use what "comes in the box" in Panther, when it's released. Thanks again.

Regards,
Marc

Originally posted by fryke
So, it's really simple... If you _have_ to use Entourage, wait for either Apple or Microsoft to issue an update that fixes the problem(s). Until then, use Entourage in Jaguar, where it's running fine.

Microsoft is solely responsible for fixing Entourage. Depreciated APIs are announced when the new major release is out IIRC, so MS has had a year to switch to the more supported APIs.

As right as you may be, Krevinek, Apple doesn't want MS Office to be incompatible just yet. My guess is that if MS says "We don't want to change our application yet again!" Apple would answer: "Oh, okay. Then let us fix Panther instead." ;-)

Well, Entourage _does_ seem to run under Panther. There's the occasional crash. Can anyone tell what exactly is crashing Entourage? Is it getting new mail? Doesn't seem so, as that works fine for me when I try it with a test POP3 account. So what does? And are you sure that it wasn't a buggy Panther build that did something bad to Entourage's database? Does it happen if you use Entourage for a while with another user than your own with a clean new mail database?

Back