7B85 to be GM

Originally posted by fryke
As right as you may be, Krevinek, Apple doesn't want MS Office to be incompatible just yet. My guess is that if MS says "We don't want to change our application yet again!" Apple would answer: "Oh, okay. Then let us fix Panther instead." ;-)

I seriously hope that Apple doesn't do something seriously stupid like that. The MacBU really doesn't have an excuse for not being ready... information has been available for at least a few months, Apple always offers alternatives that can behave in a similar fashion when they dump an API call, and MacBU has most likely had access to 10.3 builds. To top it off, changes for depreciated APIs are minor, and take less than a minute per call to fix. If MS says, "We don't want to change our application yet again!"... I will tell MS to take a flying leap and they will never get a cent from me again for being super-lazy programmers. I dealt with those types of programmers before, and they aren't worth the trouble to me.

FWIW, I have no problems running Entourage in 7B80, at least that I've noticed.

I HAVE noticed at least a couple new bugs, though (which probably have been around forever). For example, when I'm in List mode in the Finder, and I move /files/folders from an expanded sub-folder to the main folder, they often won't appear in the main folder. Unless there's a manual window refresh button that I don't know about, I have to change views to get them to show up (like change to Icon view and then back, or change dir and then back, or something like that)

Go3iverson: What prevented you from upgrading from OS 9 to Jag? What makes you think a bug-free Panther would be different enough to upgrade to?

For that matter, why would your "higher-ups" think that WinXP SP2 is less bug free and/or more capable than OS X.3.0 will be, which is what you seem to be implying?

Many apps I'm sure have used depreciated APIs, Entourage is one, and some of my own are another. Kung-Tunes hasn't worked on Panther since the WWDC build, so obviously some Cocoa, Carbon, and AS APIs have changed.

I'm betting on either this (7B85) or another build before the 7B100 series on being the GM.

Back