8-Core Mac Pro coming?

Would feed the roumors that some products are to be overhauled during March. The price should be interesting...

The Core 2 Quad as it stands now is not very power-efficient compared to the Core 2 Duo. This is mainly because the Core 2 Quad is designed in the same way the Pentium D was: 2 processors sandwiched together. In the Core 2 Quad's case, it's basically two Core 2 Duos sandwiched together, effectively giving you two dual core CPUs, aka "quad core". Because of this, it's not very efficient when it comes to power savings.

However, I'm sure this will change once Intel comes out with their true quad-core CPU, in which that the die will have 4 cores....not 2 dies with 2 cores each. When this true quad core comes out probably later this year, we might see some mobile versions that would be more power-efficient, thereby possibly making their way to the MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

The Core 2 Quad as it stands now is not very power-efficient compared to the Core 2 Duo. This is mainly because the Core 2 Quad is designed in the same way the Pentium D was: 2 processors sandwiched together. In the Core 2 Quad's case, it's basically two Core 2 Duos sandwiched together, effectively giving you two dual core CPUs, aka "quad core". Because of this, it's not very efficient when it comes to power savings.

However, I'm sure this will change once Intel comes out with their true quad-core CPU, in which that the die will have 4 cores....not 2 dies with 2 cores each. When this true quad core comes out probably later this year, we might see some mobile versions that would be more power-efficient, thereby possibly making their way to the MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

Although I was too lazy to express it, these were my thoughts precisely.

Well my new Mac buy (Mac Pro) comes some time this year it will be the hopeful new Mac Pro that is suppose to come out sometime this year. The only thing I am hesitant about a new Mac Pro is that darn expense RAM.

Yea I guy from them all my Ram. I am saying the general Mac Pro Ram prices are way more then Ram for older Mac machines.

I really would like a Mac Pro, but I'm holding on just a little while longer until I can get it with Leopard. RAM is pricey, but I'm going to start out with 4GB(2x2GB). Cheapest I've seen was about $613US after rebate.
I wish they'd release it alongside Apple TV this Tuesday, but it's becoming more likely that new Mac Pros may be announced just before or at the NAB.

Yeah, the MacPro is fully buffered and ECC meaning it's a little slower than usual desktop RAM. But, did they have to use that RAM since it's a Xeon or are Xeons compatible with non ECC non buffered RAM?

They must have improved it then because I'm sure it used to be noticeabley slower. However it's really good they do have it when you think about it because you are pretty much guaranteed any scientific simulations you do for example are correct.

I just wondering if MacPro 8 cores with 64 bits. Are we able to install Vista or XP with 64 bits on MacPro? Also, will it work with any program since it have 8 cores?

Back