802.11g performance

Moreese

Registered
Does anyone know how 802.11g wireless networks compare speedwise to a wired network. I currently have everything connected on a 100ft ethernet cable, but want to go wireless. Will there be a performance hit?

I have a fast Cable connection, and I'm mainly concerned about internet performance, as I don't move a lot of files.

Thanks

I have a G4 Desktop on a wired router and a G4 Powerbook on an Airport Base Station and the web speed is about the same for me.

I noticed a slight increase in speed when I have had my G4 hooked up ethernet. Wireless speed is not significantly noticeable in my opinion.

An 802.11g wireless network has a maximum throughput of 54Mbps. That's the MAXIMUM, and you won't ever see that speed for a number of reasons -- close to that speed: yes, full 54Mbps: no.

A wired network will be faster than 802.11g if it's a 100Mbps network... slower if it's a 10Mbps network.

For surfing the web, wireless is just fine. I doubt your cable connection could saturate an 802.11g network, so you'd have plenty of bandwidth to spare. Transferring files, on the other hand, will probably be slower than on a wired network.

Yeah. I'd say, if you're transferring huge files all the time over your local network, stick with wired. But if you have uses that are a little bit lighter, go for Wi-Fi.

Back