99% chance to make the switch

barfmonkey

Registered
hi I use a dell at the moment it is pretty new but I have recently gotten macromedia flash and I love it, it is all I do I would rather play with that and make games rather then play them most my friend find this weird well any how I heard Mac is the best for this type of stuff I mean my dell works fine but I would like to use my full potential and I heard Mac would help me with this the only problem is I am 14 and money is rare for me so what would my best choice for price and power I was looking at the eMac plz help :D

Emacs are amazingly good for the amount of money you pay. I know you can buy PC's all over the place now from £300+ (about half the price of an emac uk) but they just don't compare, in my opinion, to what you get from an emac, the OS alone is worth the extra money to me. Deffinately get one if you can afford it, if you have a bit more get an imac (my next purchase) :D .

If your Dell has a USB Keyboard/mouse then you can also get the Mac Mini and a KVM to share your existing keyboard/mouse monitor.... That would save a bit more.

But... my Mom has an eMac, and I'd also reccomend that highly as an "all in one" solution.

The eMac was the computer of my choice when I made the switch. (That was 3 years ago) It's a all in one like Tommy mentioned which is really great. The screen is beautiful, you got your Apple Mouse and Keyboard, (Though I later got myself a wireless two button mouse and keyboard) and it's just nice to have everything you need right there in front of you in a space no larger then a monitor.

If you got a USB keyboard and mouse and a nice monitor (ask around about this one, I'm not sure how the whole PC monitor compatibility thing works) already also consider the Mac Mini. It'll save you some cash which you can use on other things like upgrading it. Getting yourself a SuperDrive unit with a nice size HD for example(DVD BURNING IS NICE!!)

Also to note, there is always ebay. :) If you can get your folks to let you maybe shop around there, you might be able to find you a grand deal. I'm currently looking at iMac G5s myself.

hopefully, you are 14 and not a native english speaker. if english is your native language. seek help or at least some pride in your presentation. it need not be perfect, but sentences are good.

otherwise, save your money. you have a new dell that works i assume. use it. you are 14. save your money or spend it with friends. and if you'd rather do flash than hang out with your friends, i seriously suggest you either get new friends you want to hang out with or stop using the dell. there are few things worse than trying to associate with people that have no social skills.

Cfleck, you're right - sentences are good. So are capital letters at the beginning of them. ;)

As to the actual question - for Flash specifically, I don't know that a Mac is necessarily a good choice. I undestand Macromedia software nowadays isn't especially well optimized for the Mac. Someone actually working with Flash can say more about it.

It's not the creation of the Flash content that isn't "optimized" on the Mac, it's the execution within a web browser. Flash creation on the Mac is ten times better than on a PC, judging by my buddy who has done both (http://www.numnut.com).

Under OS X, Flash content viewed in a web browser tends to run a little more slowly than the PC counterpart. Creation of Flash content, on the other hand, is platform-independent, and I would much rather be developing on a Mac than on a PC.

Sorry about that I typed it once and my internet crashed so I just typed it up fast so sorry. Simmer down now!!!!!!! We have eMacs at school and all my friends that use them can’t stop talking about imovie as well. I do hang out with my friends in fact they are sitting here this very moment I work on flash well the play games I only have 2 controllers for my systems. what other features do Macs have that are worth buying I also saw the Mac minis on Screen Savers and they looked pretty cool but I also have an issue with space it my be a mini but I would have 2 use a monitor and I don’t want to use that much space with the eMac just a monitor and I am set.

The Macintosh has always been known for quality, design, easy of use, and longevity. What does this mean for you in your future Flash endeavors? You will simply have the best tool for creating animation effortlessly. The Mac can handle complex and normal tasks seamlessly without bringing your system to a crash and even if you do get the crash screen it is stylish like the Mac itself.
The eMac is a good choice but if you need portability buy the iBook G4. I leave the cost up to you.

Back