A Close Save!

bkaron

Yep, That's Me!
About a week ago I walk into my garage to find a flashlight and I start tripping over and rummaging through a whole bunch of crap! Immediately after I finish putting ice on my shins I think to myself "Humm... how about we have a garage sale!” I'm not going to describe the hole sale in great detail (who ever is reading this is probably thinking "Thank God, who does this guy think he is!") but what I will tell you is that I almost sold my old Performa 6400. ::sleepy:: The only reason why I'm not $100 richer is because of this thought, "What if I upgrade RAM, Processor, and other Mics. things. I can have a pretty kick ass computer! :eek: So I had to pass him up on his offer. My question to you (the reader) is, was it worth it. :confused: Can I upgrade this old beat down computer so it can run 10.3 smoothly. :( If so can you help me find a cheap way to do it (by cheap I mean cheap RAM, Processors, and Mics. things)

Um...aren't the old Performas 68K? If that's so, it won't run OS X at all, OS X needs a PPC processor.

I have to assume you are joking and just having fun with us. But just in case you are not, here is my advice:

Do not waste one penny on that box. Don't waste one second even thinking about it.

The performana 6400 is a 603e PPC running at 180 Mhz, quite honestly your probably should have gotten your $100. out of this machine, as the upgrades for this machine are kinda limited. First, I don't know of any manufacturers making an upgrade card for this machine any more. (Someone might, or you could find a used one from e-bay)

Secondly, the maximum ram installable in this machine is 138 meg, which definitely wouldn't be enough to run OS X adequately.

The minimum requirements are 128 megs, with 138 meg, the OS would be doing a lot of hard drive 'virtual' memory swapping.

And you'd also have to get a different hd if you wanted to do a complete install (my installation used 4.5 gig with all the extra developers stuff installed).

Another thing I just seen, is that particular model didn't have built in ethernet either. Info found @ www.everymac.com

You could keep your eye out for bargains for this machine, or you could save that money and invest it in your powerbook g4 :)

should have taken the $100 if you could still sleep at night doing so. far more than it's worth. not a bad first computer for a kid or maybe a small server. but useless as a modern computer. members of this site have given away better computers.

Load OS 9.1 on it and have a nostalgic piece of history! That's what I did with my 8500 since it refuses to load OS X even with XPostFacto... :(

You could never, ever get 10.3 to run on that thing because it doesn't have built-in USB. The highest you could go is 10.2.

arden said:
You could never, ever get 10.3 to run on that thing because it doesn't have built-in USB. The highest you could go is 10.2.

I was just about to suggest using XPostFacto when Ryan releases a version that will work with 10.3, but then remembered that Panther does not support 60x processors at ALL, so I'm gonna have to chime in and say it's never gonna work... you can load 10.2 on there, though with XPostFacto, although results will be disappointing at best.

I saw a computer case at CompUSA that had a fish tank built into the side of the case. It was filled with fake fish (I don't expect they'd survive long in that warm water), but it was still pretty cool...

Alas, it was a PC case. But fear not, for it hath been done before! :)

Back