A great addition to 10.3!

bjurusik

Registered
I was just looking through this months Macworld mag, and saw a review of this power strip that allows you to turn on and off your Mac at certain times. This was a feature in OS 9 ... why is it not in X? Is there 3rd party software that does? Apple shoud reimplement this feature.

I've been saying we need this feature back since 10.0.

I think it'll be back in 10.3. then again, I thought it would be back in 10.2, but it wasn't.

For now, you can just do those settings in Mac OS 9. They are saved in NVRAM, so they don't have anything with the OS itself to do.

I think a great addition would be a help viewer that is actually usable. Anytime I need to check something out in the help viewer I sit there with the beachball for over 2 minutes. What is that? Im trying to get help, not render a movie. It seems to me this should be something easily fixed or implemented, and yet its never gotten any better, not even from 10.1 to 10.2.

Macosrumors.com speculate that a new engine will run the Help Viewer from 10.3 onwards, making it faster, better etc... Hurray!

Help Viewer is essentially a HTML browser - Apple would probably incorporate Safari's rendering engine ("WebCore") into the OS itself in the future, and have Help Viewer use it.

Help Viewer is definitely in need of some polishing. It's one of the few things in OS X that really bothers me. :p

I've always wanted a better energy savings setup! i often switch between two setups!

No Sleep, But 2 min Display Sleep

And...

No Sleep, No display sleep

But i find myself having to go thru the custom 'settings' on it everytime! Why can't we save our own settings as a config file?! ... it'd be nice if i could have a toolbar icon, allowing me to switch between settings, like we can for "Displays" <-- resolutions!

Anyone Agree?!

Neyo

Originally posted by ~~NeYo~~
I've always wanted a better energy savings setup! i often switch between two setups!

No Sleep, But 2 min Display Sleep

And...

No Sleep, No display sleep

But i find myself having to go thru the custom 'settings' on it everytime! Why can't we save our own settings as a config file?! ... it'd be nice if i could have a toolbar icon, allowing me to switch between settings, like we can for "Displays" <-- resolutions!

Anyone Agree?!

Neyo

Yep :)
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

with apple help viewer i would rather have it in a HTML format then the crappy help viewer

or at least let you choose where your going to search to cut down time

Apple would probably incorporate Safari's rendering engine ("WebCore") into the OS itself in the future, and have Help Viewer use it.

Uh.. In case you all forgot, this is where Microsoft ran into trouble after Windows 98 (?) came out. To this day, it is physically impossible to remove Internet Explorer from Windows, you can't even NOT install it. Why? because Internet Explorer, and Windows Explorer, are essentially two faces for one app. The IE rendering/html/etc engine is a core part of the OS, which is why it's buggy as sh!t. While i can't see anyone sueing apple, and i have no doubt that they would implement any sort of central HTML-engine in a way that doesn't make the computer become less stable, it does sound a bit dodgy.. then again.. maybe i'm just a nit-picker... :D

Pengu

I agree with the energy saver idea. They should make a menu extra that allows you to put just the screen to sleep. During the day I have the screen saver turn on after like 15 minutes and it stays on the whole day. But when I go to bed, I don't want to see the screensaver while I'm trying to sleep. And I don't like putting my HD to sleep cuz then file sharing programs and other apps sometimes get hung up. So I have to go into SP and change the settings every time.

Pengu: integrating some Safari browsing technology in the core OS would not mean you can't uninstall Safari. Which is the case for Internet Exploiter.

Originally posted by toast
Pengu: integrating some Safari browsing technology in the core OS would not mean you can't uninstall Safari. Which is the case for Internet Exploiter.

I've already done this by moving the frameworks in the Safari.app to the /Library/Framework folder.
Safari looks first in itself, then in the Library Folders for the WebCore.framework file. Safari still works great!

Hi, I regularly post on "macosx.com", and a post regarding small things we'd like to see in 10.3 arrived. I duly added, that I?d love to see a way to manage energy saving profiles, or something similar. Throughout the day, the settings I use for Energy Savings change, for which ALL aren't default "profiles" from the drop down menu. So each and every time, I find myself, having to load System Preferences, load Energy Saving, and then, customs, define my parameters, and ok it. That?s fine, until I want to change it; I have to repeat the process once more, to change it. I keep to certain configurations for hard drive sleep, display sleep and so forth, and they are regularly switched. I'd like to be able to save a configuration, so that I could access this, next time, without having to redo "custom", and apply it. At the same time, I?d love it, if we could change energy saving profiles, like we can Desktop Resolutions (via the Finder tool bar) that would be a neat implementation!

Done! ... do apple reply?! ... or is it something i can merely wish upon, the 10.3 wish list now?! :p

Neyo

Done! ... do apple reply?!
Nope, no replys, but I get the impression they do listen. Things I send to them generally seem to appear in the next upgrades. I'm guessing I'm not the only person asking for things, but we probably all want similar stuff and if enough people ask... We are the reason they're still here, after all.

btw, if you continue your post immediately after the close bracket of quotes, it still spaces it nicely below, but doesn't leave an extra line space in there!;) sorry - these things bother me!

Originally posted by Factor41
Nope, no replys, but I get the impression they do listen...

so if i ask for a free Dual power mac will they listen to me? (ha ha ha... bad joke:p .. this is what 3 straight hours of chemistry revision does 2 u!!!)

Originally posted by wdw_
I've been saying we need this feature back since 10.0.

I think it'll be back in 10.3. then again, I thought it would be back in 10.2, but it wasn't.
I WAS RIGHT!!!!!!!:D

The scheduuling feature is in Panther. Check it out:

Attachments

• energy_saver.jpg
    energy_saver.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 50
Did anyone else notice the distinct lack of Piles at the Keynote? I haven't noticed anyone mention it yet...

Back