A look inside Jaguar

What the #@#@ is up with the "brushed metal" QT like skin for Sherlock 3 and Address Book? Has Apple lost their minds?

w000t!

I love it!

Everything looks much nicer, IMHO.

The nice integration between apps is great, too.. CHECK OUT iCHAT!

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
What the #@#@ is up with the "brushed metal" QT like skin for Sherlock 3 and Address Book? Has Apple lost their minds?
I agree with you -- I much prefer the standard Aqua interface...

Quartz Extreme
Jaguar dramatically improves the performance of Mac OS X with Quartz Extreme. Jaguar lets Quartz offload compositing tasks to a supported* video card, using OpenGL to accelerate the drawing and compositing of graphics. As with the benefits 3D games get from a video co-processor, the main CPU chip(s) can then focus on application-specific needs.
That means your shadows will drop quickly, your genies will appear slicker and your transparencies will layer faster — and Mac OS X can do more processing in the background while you move the foreground.

*nVidia: GeForce2MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 Ti, GeForce4 or GeForce4MX. ATI: any AGP Radeon card. 32MB VRAM recommended for optimum performance.

Is that mean my TiBook 667 still have a chance using that technology?

Btw, do you think PowerBook G4 can upgrade Video Memory from 16MB to 32MB?

TiBookVRAM.jpg

Originally posted by serpicolugnut

I know what you mean. When they removed it from Sherlock 2 X I fighred "Oh, the Brushed metal look is on its way out." Guess not. But I am freaking happy it's on the way!

That feature list knocked me on my as..butt.

I mean, Ink? Awesome! Now, all I need is a tablet.

JUNK MAIL FILTER! I NEED THAT! I love that "Mail thinks this message is Junk" part.

Quartz EXTREME! I'm surprised they didn't call it "Xtreme" but it's aboot time!

Sherlock 3 looks soo cool. Now I don't need to buy Watson. (Did Apple buy them or something?)

AIM CHAT? This makes me freaking happy. My friend and I use AIM all the time. I guess AOL was happy to let Apple do it so they can stop worrying about their own port of AIM? Or what?

There's only ONE thing that bugs me.. I WANT IT NOW!

Originally posted by nkuvu
I agree with you -- I much prefer the standard Aqua interface...

absolutely - i hate that brushed metal crap ... but apart from that, it looks like 10.2 is going to be pretty cool ... :D

I'm not too fond of the brushed metal interface, but it's not that bad. I've been using iTunes and QuickTime Player for a while and it's grown on me. And it's just as functional as a regular aqua window (which wasn't true in OS 9 because these brushed metal windows didn't support WindowShade – with OS X they dock just as well as normal windows).

But I have to concur that Jaguar is going to ROCK.

I'm not a fan of the brushed metal, but I don't hate it.

I would like to see a consistent look to the UI, though. Especially among Apple applications. A little brushed metal here, Aqua there, kind of makes the system look mish-mashed together. :p

Brushed metal was my favorite in OS 9 and before I used Aqua I was dissapointed that they didn't carry it over. But Aqua is the intuitive interface. It's also much less cluttered.

Being able to drag an app from the edges is always nice but just go all brushed or not. What's up with the UI in iChat? YUCK.

I don't suppose anyone knows about the new integrated search, is it locate from the CLI? I would like that but some people might not because of indexing. Sure does make things fast.

Does that mean the default graphics card in my iMac (check the sig for specs) won't be supported for TurboQuartz or whatever it's called? That would piss me off.

Other than that, though, I can't wait... :D

-the valrus

my personal favorite improvement about the whole this is... um... damn, they all rock :D. I'd like to know more about iChat though, is it just AIM or yahoo too, etc...

Well, our slot-loading iMacs (mine is 350MHz, no DV) do have AGP Radeons. But with 8MB of memory, they ain't gonna perform quite as good as the 32MB recommended video cards.
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by genghiscohen
Well, our slot-loading iMacs (mine is 350MHz, no DV) do have AGP Radeons. But with 8MB of memory, they ain't gonna perform quite as good as the 32MB recommended video cards.
:rolleyes:

I dont think so, I am screwed with my brand new ibook too

:mad:

Back