A Newton is heading my way... Now what?!

avg joe

Registered
I ordered what I think is a good deal on E Bay- a Newton MP2100 for $199.00. I've used palms in the past, but after hearing how much better the Newton is than the palm...

So, now that it's on its way to me can anyone give me some ideas to useful or fun software that I'd want to get? Also, what do I need to do to connect to my computer? Can I connect to organization software (like palm desktop) in OSX or OS9?

I am looking forward to learning as much about it as I can. any helpful ideas would be appreciated.

Welcome to the club by the way. I love my 130, and am planning to get a 2100 whenever I can.

http://www.newtonarchives.com/]newtonarchives

Solo DX is an incredible solotaire game. Avi's backdrop is a good backdrop app (the "finder" on a newton.)

Daleks is also a great game. It's a classic.

Some hilarious other apps include mystic (magic eight ball), um-meter (not sure how to explain it), and bingo. Bingo is cool because you can put your own words in, and then play bingo using keywords that your teacher/boss says a lot.

There are also a hoard of great books available for the newton, and if you play guitar, ChordBook can be a life saver.

Hope this helps,

Thanks for the info. I just received it today (not exactly what I ordered) but I'm amazed at just how cool it is. Unfortunately, the serial adapter that connects to the Newton aint there, so I had to find one on e-bay today and hopefully by next week I can install and try some of the programs you mentioned.

If I was you, I wouldn't go for the serial adapter. Instead get a pcmcia ethernet card. It's much faster, and even allows you to plug into a cable modem or lan to access the internet. Your newton can even be an internet server!!!

The 3com 3C589B works great with the newton, as does the farallon 54598.

Good to know. Are these cards currently in production or is this something I should look for on e-bay also? I'll do some checking around- I appreciate the input

I grabbed one off ebay tonight for $19 w/ shipping and handling. Do NOT look for "newton ethernet card" - you'll end up paying upwards of $40. Instead, search for the cards I mentioned (or others that you find compatible) and search for them. This way you won't be competing with dozens of other (less informed) newton users.

I hope its not one of those GEM enterprizes Newtons cause I have heard some are potatoes.

The best place to go is www.unna.org

ALL software for newton (with the exception of a few that are still commercial software) are there.

It is an excellent resource :)

Admiral

I'll check out that archive. My list of Newton bookmarks keeps growing:D BTW, the Newton I got was from Phillydiscounters- It was advertised as an original 2100- not upgrade. But strangely enough, when I received it the case says 2000 on it. Something tells me that might mean it aint a 2100:rolleyes:
I e-mailed the company... no response so far.I'm in love with this unit so far, though I hope they will just adjust the selling price to reflect the difference and not want it back to exchange or refund. (don't want to go without anymore)
Thanks for helping a Newb!

Upgraded machines are no different from the 2100's except for the "2000" on the front instead of "2100." I woulnd't worry about it, it's the same machine.

thats true about the upgraded systems. my only question was in reguards to the difference in price at auction. I used the "buy it now" because it seemed like a fair price for an original 2100, but the same company listed upgraded 2000's for less money at the same time. In their defence- it looks like it was an honest mistake and they are willing to work with me on the difference. All in all, they've been a pretty fair company to do buisness with.

Ah, I see. Yes, I also just bought a newton off ebay, except I opted for the 2000 that was $20 cheaper. I love my 130, and am excited about getting a newer, faster mp.

hey guys!
welcome :D ....

I love my newton :)
I am actually looking for a 32MB PCMCIA card now for all my SW...I am running outta space :p

I wish I'd have just gone with a Newton originally instead of wasting so many years with a palm;) My biggest obsticle to overcome is getting bad "graffitti" out of my system. this thing rocks when reading my lousy handwriting.

Hear Hear!! A lot of my teachers gave up and just marked a question right when they couldn't read my handwriting. Yet my newton without fail always recognizes it right. Though many like the size of the palm, I prefer the large amount of screen space on the 2100. And with landscape mode, writing is a joy. Newtons are incredible. I'd love for Apple to make a smaller, newer pda, but it still wouldn't replace my newton. It'd be a great addition to my digital hub though...

I can't wait to go into my monthly meetings next week and take notes on it instead of the usual yellow notepad. Betcha a few around me will be jealous
:D

What's fun is having a friend in the meeting who you can beam stuff to. There are also a few games that you can play via infrared. Great fun.

dont count on it :p
people mock me for using mine, but I mock them when they go crazy trying to do actual work while I am breezing along with mine :p

dogcow-
I took your advice and got an ethernet card on ebay (a 3com). I guess if I'm going to get into this I might as well go in with both feet!:D

Back