A Newton is heading my way... Now what?!

what I would REALLY love is a triband GSM data card :)
that way I could check my email anywhere :)
The nokia data card is only900/1800 GSM so I cant use it here (even if I had one :p)

It's amazing that something that hasn't been built or officially supported for five years still holds so much useability, and is still leading edge technology in an industry that grows and develops as fast as the computer industry does.

Originally posted by avg joe
dogcow-
I took your advice and got an ethernet card on ebay (a 3com). I guess if I'm going to get into this I might as well go in with both feet!:D

Hell yes. The only thing that would be better is the wireless internet that AdmiralAK mentioned, but it's expensive. Plus, you can take your 2100 with you to a network, plug in, and run diagnosis tools or browse the appletalk. You can even start printing off network printers. Good stuff.

OK, here's another question. I went to the UNNA site that Admaral AK mentioned to d/l software to put on my newton. I heard that Newtscape was the default web browser for Newton. When I checked to see if it was availible for d/l, there was quite a few .pkg's in the folder. do I get all of them and install, or only specific ones? Also, if I install Newtscape do I have to face the wrath of Ed?:D :p

Just wonderng

dont worry :p
newtscape is in no way connected to netscape :p

If anyone wants grammar referrences I uploaded 4 of em to UNNA a while back (french, german, spanish and italian), they are in the books section :)

Admiral

Admaral-
What programs are you using to write your Newt books? Do you use Appleworks or Office and then convert? And are you using Newton Press or another program? Just curious as to what format you have to save documents as since word processing has gone so much farther since '97. I have many reference sheets for work that I'd love to get into my new little friend :)

To do my english (or other roman based books) I use newton press. There is a small problem with newton press though. If books become too large the file tends to get corrupted (large is more than 200 pages at 10 point font for example). I had this happen to my german book. I was really pissed cause I had to retype everything :p

I am trying to find another way of making newton books at the moment. THere is a program called Bookmaker which supposedly takes text files and converts them to newtonbooks but I havent gotten it to work yet. I need to figure out an alternate way cause newtonpress cant handle non roman languages and I am trying to do a russian book at the moment :)

Impressive! I'm still having problems mastering the english language, and I've been speaking it for close to 37 years :D(I'll have to check with my mom to get an exact count of years;)) I'll give Bookmaker a look also. I have Newton Press, and only thought of using the "drag and drop" method of creating in it, not just writing directly to it.

Thanks for the help!

you can do drag and drop ?!?!! hmmm..well I never checkd if I could do drag and drop :p ---

I tried dragging a text file onto newton press but nothing happened it just gave me an error.

I converted a document that I already had in Appleworks to RTF, and Newton Press converted it and made a book. I just had to go in and set my page breaks afterwods to have it make sense. Of course, NP had to convert the font over to one of its own, but the document ended up looking pretty good afterwords. I just wasn't sure that this was the simplest way of doing this.

Admiral-
Congrats on the 32mb card you found!! Dont overload it too quickly:D

(see, this aint the only list I lurk on :D )

you stalker :eek:
lol :p

I contacted the seller and he has not emailed me back yet :p
I will contact some of the other buyers in an hour or so to see if he talked to them.

I have a 12Mb and a 32 Mb now... the possibilities are endless ;)

Now all I need to do is clone my 2Mb one into my 32Mb one in order to not lose data :p

Back