A poll for gig'.

Are there less polls than before?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thanks Lt Major Burns

how did you start it in the first place ? can't remember where to find this feature :confused:

it's a very discreet checkbox at the bottom of the new thread screen, which then leads you onto the poll screen after pressing ok.

Thanks for your answer

I must change my glasses or get a bigger screen, but as a matter of fact I found this link http://www.macosx.com/content/faq.php just the other day after 6 month in the forum.

I think it's a great starting point for newbie but it's not exactly put enough in evidence to make it a must read before posting

I don't think we get too many polls. Maybe one a day, as I can see it, and that seems reasonable to me.

Lt Major Burns said:
it's a very discreet checkbox at the bottom of the new thread screen, which then leads you onto the poll screen after pressing ok.
What? Where?...

I can't see a "Poll" checkbox anywhere when trying to add a Thread to the Cafe?!?

I looked both on the New Thread and it's Preview page...

Is is just me?

There used to be a place to select various "skins"... I can't find it, but maybe I've got some odd legacy skin??

Screenshot please!

You have to start a new thread. At the very bottom under Additional Options is the poll option. Here is a screen shot:

Attachments

• poll option.png
    poll option.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 7
TommyWillB said:
What? Where?...

I can't see a "Poll" checkbox anywhere when trying to add a Thread to the Cafe?!?

I looked both on the New Thread and it's Preview page...

Is is just me?

There used to be a place to select various "skins"... I can't find it, but maybe I've got some odd legacy skin??

Screenshot please!
Thank goodness it is not just me! I remember looking at the FAQ several times (months ago) and wondering why I couldn't see this option anywhere. I've compared what I see with the screenshot (thanks, Cheryl :)) and I have all the options... except for the poll one!

Any ideas?

Thanks BBloke and TommyWillB for bringing up the non access to this function

now that polls are running again ;)

I took time to check how to start one according to cheryl and realise I can't either :confused:

there must be a plain explanation for this ?

I'm going off my memory here, which can be spotty at times, but I believe (pretty sure) that you have to be a contributing member to use the poll feature. It's been that way for a couple of years now.

mdnky said:
I'm going off my memory here, which can be spotty at times, but I believe (pretty sure) that you have to be a contributing member to use the poll feature. It's been that way for a couple of years now.

Well I have given every year several times and I still have no option for polls on new threads just like other old forum timers. I have used several browser (Safari, Camino, Firefox) and the poll funtion does not work.

Thanks for the heads up, Gig'. :)

ScottW said:
OKAY... The scoop from the horses mouth....

Many Many moons ago... an execitive decision was made which limited the ability to create polls to moderators/admins and folks who where "Supporting Members" in a financial category.

During that period in history... when you donated, you where given special access, noted as a contributing member and given permissions to make polls.

At some point that program ended and nothing ever changed.

I suppose it is time for a change?
So, are the people who can post polls, but aren't moderators, all "supporting members" (i.e. those who donated money)? If they are, I guess that explains it. If not, then I'm still confused!

I think I remember that, and yes, that was exactly what was done back then... Also: We thought that at that time, there was an awful LOT of polls. Basically everybody just added a poll to each and every of his/her threads... (Okay, I'm exaggerating, I guess...)

fryke said:
Basically everybody just added a poll to each and every of his/her threads... (Okay, I'm exaggerating, I guess...)

Actually, I don't think that's too much of an exaggeration at all. It was almost that bad...every single post in the cafe seemed to have a poll attached to it back then...which was kinda annoying IMO.

bbloke said:
Thanks for the heads up, Gig'. :)

So, are the people who can post polls, but aren't moderators, all "supporting members" (i.e. those who donated money)? If they are, I guess that explains it. If not, then I'm still confused!
I am not a moderator, but I HAVE $contributed.

So that sounds like they set this up exactly backwards. (Unless your contributor status lapses after a period of time?)

Us contributors should get MORE funcitonality and not LESS. ;)

Back