A question about Mail

efox5

Registered
I usually use Mail to receive my mails, but one question is still bothering me.
Every time when I login my inbox by using a brower, there are still new mails which I have already read in Mail.
I hate this, because I can't distinct REAL new mails from FAKE new mails while I'm viewing my inbox by using a brower rather than Mail, can I set this somewhere?

when you view your New Mail, the mail remains on the mail server. When you then check your mail through web mail, that mail is still 'new' because it is still on the server, and has not been viewed yet (through web mail). So, if you can remove the mail from the server after you view it, (or at the time you view it) then you will not see that same mail as 'New' when you check your mail again from a different location.
So, your Mail software has settings for that. Mail/Preferences/Accounts. Select your account, and click the Advanced tab. Change 'Remove copy from server after retrieving a message' to 'Remove Right away', if that's what you want. Other time-limited settings might suit you better. (You may want to retrieve Mail at work, when you have already viewed at home, and if it's already gone from the server, then you will be too late!)

when you view your New Mail, the mail remains on the mail server. When you then check your mail through web mail, that mail is still 'new' because it is still on the server, and has not been viewed yet (through web mail). So, if you can remove the mail from the server after you view it, (or at the time you view it) then you will not see that same mail as 'New' when you check your mail again from a different location.
So, your Mail software has settings for that. Mail/Preferences/Accounts. Select your account, and click the Advanced tab. Change 'Remove copy from server after retrieving a message' to 'Remove Right away', if that's what you want. Other time-limited settings might suit you better. (You may want to retrieve Mail at work, when you have already viewed at home, and if it's already gone from the server, then you will be too late!)

sigh~
Thanks buddy, but I don't want them to be removed from my web sever since they are useful, just not show as "New", it seems that Mail do not have such a setting.

You can only: Remove it, or they would be still "New".
It sucks.

sigh~
Thanks buddy, but I don't want them to be removed from my web sever since they are useful, just not show as "New", it seems that Mail do not have such a setting.

You can only: Remove it, or they would be still "New".
It sucks.
I misunderstood your initial question... :)
If still useful, then why not just save your mail locally, and then remove it from the server? Then, (accessing your mail at another location) you won't need to decide which has already been viewed, and is not really 'new'

Have you ever seen any other mail software that will show you your mail list, and also show which mail has already been viewed at a different location (and is no longer 'new')? Isn't this really a question for your ISP (or whoever controls your mailserver)?

Back