A rather negative article

I got through about the first five, came up with five rebuttals to what he said, then stopped.

1. This is good. It means that you can't accidentally wake a computer by bumping the table and having the mouse move. Unfortunately, this doesn't work on older Macintosh computers that don't support deep sleep -- like mine. Moving the mouse wakes the computer, as does clicking any button, be it keyboard or mouse.

2. An ellipsis means that a dialog box or confirmation box will be presented before the action is carried out. "Open Location..." means focus switches to the location bar, then the user must type the new location. If the ellipsis weren't there, then it would mean automatically open a new location. "Downloads" mean just that -- you are presented with your downloads without further input required. Seems pretty consistent to me.

3. Big deal. A few pixels. Who hits the File menu without actually looking? Besides, the menus are different for all applications. Some have a "Bookmarks" menu, some don't. In that respect, the menubar items are in different places for every application -- same as in Windows.

4. So what? The brushel metal appearance, IMO, is there for applications that resemble real-life appliances, like iTunes (your stereo), Quicktime (your DVD player/media player), iPhoto (your photo album), Safari (your TV), Calculator (if you can't figure this one out, God help your soul), iCal (your desktop calendar). While there are exceptions, they are few, and Tiger should standardize the brushed-metal appearance more.

5. It's always been like this... you don't EVER need to delete text when selecting a search box if you tab to the box. If you're still the kind of person that clicks in a text box, then holds down backspace until everything's gone, then types the new text, you need to take some classes on using computers (double-click for word, triple-click for entire box). Besides, text that disappears when the box is selected (like "Google" in Safari's search bar) automatically disappears, and is colored gray. Text that needs deleting (user-inputted text) is colored black.

6. I got nothing here. It is damn slow in OS X.

7. I got no rebuttal here -- I've never had a problem discerning the two.

8. With one big difference: they're not on a button.

9. Bah.

10. Nope, sure doesn't. Bug report.

11. Dragging to the menubar would be a counter-intuitive way of cancelling a drag, even though it does work -- simply because you can't place an icon on or under the menubar, so that's why the drag doesn't work.

12. Sometimes this bugs me, but it doesn't slow me down.

Ack... that's all I can come up with now. He's got some good points, but it seems rather nit-picky. 'A' for effort.

After reading the first few paragraphs, realized an idiot wrote this and stopped reading.

Apple police should go and confiscate his iBook.

Meh... nice points, some of them. I always thought Mac OS 9 had the edge as far as consistency and simplicity went. It would be nice to bring back some of those elements.

One thing that REALLY bugs me about OS X is the fact that you can have two Finder windows open on the screen at the same time showing the same folder. That sucks. That's addressed in point 19 I think.

Also, I've often had the impulse to create a new Finder window via right-click. If I want to move a file in a folder to the parent folder (along-side the current folder), I have to create a new Finder window and move them side by side, then drag the file over. I'd like to move up a folder level, right click on the sub-folder and select Open in New Finder Window. Maybe there's a better way to do what I want now, but I don't know what it is.

can you imagine how long this list would be if you were to do this level of pickiness to windows!

he has a couple points, i think mainly about the metal/aqua themes though. apple breaks their own guidelines too much with that one. and then you have garage band that is totally unique, looks good though, but as far as consistency goes, bad.

bobw said:
After reading the first few paragraphs, realized an idiot wrote this and stopped reading.

Apple police should go and confiscate his iBook.
He's an idiot because he has some grievances against the OS? Wow.

I should go hunt down Jakob Nielson then based on that criteria.

Why do people try to review Mac OS X according to the way things are done in Windows XP? Of course it is going to be different...

I will never understand arguments like this.

So, he spent his 48 first hours with OS X trying to point out how it's different from XP, thus how it sucks. Interesting. Compared to so many people who just start to use OS X, enjoy it, and lern to think how OS X things in those 48 hours.

However, I shouldn't criticize. I remember installing Mandrake, playing with it for 30 minutes, deciding I didn't like it, and formatting again, to get back to RH-based distros a few years ago... J just didn't like it. :D

Basically i think this guy has gone to every little nit picking thing that is wrong with OSX. How he talks about the masking of the ribbing (or whatever he calls it) in the scroll bars, is just ridiolous, anyway who looks at the scroll bar when your scrolling ?

I think he took too much attention to un-neccessary detail into this stupid article he made. Personally this guy is just a waste of time obviously he doesnt know what a good Os is like. A comment made on here which i was thinking the same about, what if one of us made a My dreadful 48hrs with Windows Xp .... hmm that would be a rather long article ..

Complete waste of time. Not even worth posting. Simply just a moron’s review of a new operating system that his whole basis of complaint is generally - that it is not Microsoft Windows.

Congratulations moron it's a different operating system - what this chap has done is look at the differences and then classified them as problems.
Disks cannot be given color labels, for no apparent reason.

Just incase you are tempted to read it, this is the nonsense it’s filled with.

hes not saying it from a windows point of view. he's saying that macOS is blatantly better than everything else (open-source or not), but that all operating systems are deteriorating in functionality at the expense of appearance.

the fact that when you minimize something to the dock it does that genie thing? it looks bloody amazing! but it is useless.

he IS nitpicking, but i suppose he's picking up on everything all at once. the application/file/edit menu thing - he's right, i terms of specific energy, it is wasted trying to think ahead and avoid the menu. very miniscule, almost unnoticable, but technically, ergonomically bad.

Don't overreact to this guy's article, people! Mac OS X is not immune from critiquing, and he brings up some good points.

I think what most of us are annoyed at is that one must really stretch to come up with a list like he has. He looked for inconsistencies.

Before you crab about the article, why don't you ask yourself this question:
"If Apple were to 'fix' Mac OS X to address these issues, would it be a better OS?"

I would say "yes".

While he may be nitpicking he does have some valid points. There are certain things in Mac OS X that could be improved.

#3 does not bother me but I can see why it would bother some.

#6 is true. I have it set to autoadjust but I remember the pain of trying to set the time by hand. Why the heck is this simple operation so slow?

#12 Bothers me, but only a little. I would like to be able to move pages independently of the parent as well.

Some of his gripes are by design and he just does not agree with the choice. Most of the rest are not any worse from a design point of view than Windows or KDE. But that does not mean that you should dismiss him as an idiot just because you do not agree or the points he mentions do not bother you.

Giaguara said:
So, he spent his 48 first hours with OS X trying to point out how it's different from XP, thus how it sucks. Interesting. Compared to so many people who just start to use OS X, enjoy it, and lern to think how OS X things in those 48 hours.

This is a great point. This person came to the Mac experience, expecting XP. Sure, many of his points are just personal complaints from a lack of knowledge, and narrow mind.

:rolleyes:

I might also point out that he seems to be a Mac OS 9 user not just a Windows user. So it is not just a case of expecting XP and not getting it.

Back