About those free (insert item) Ads.

Reality

Registered
I been kinda looking at Macosx's current ad when I visit. It's the one of the freeminimacs.com. Well I thought I check it out and it seem to be the same as the freeipod offer you hear a lot of buzz about. I'm curious enough to ask if anyone really knows anything about that site or it's linked sites like the freeipod.com I hear people really do get free ipods and what not but, I want more info.

Those adds do look dodgy (TANSTAAFL and so on). I would actually prefer the Google adds. When they were up there, if I remembered to I'd click on a few just to show some interest to support the site. Also, Google's adds tend to have more interesting stuff :).

Does anyone know exactly what sort of 'offer' you have to partake in?

Do the 'friends' you refer have to also take part?

It is a pyramid scheme basically. People do get the merchandise but it is not a simple <click on this link to get X> . Here is a discussion of sorts from about a month ago on the topic. I looked into it briefly but I am not social enough that I know 10 people I am willing to annoy. At least not just to get a computer I can afford without too much effort in the first place.

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48738

If you ad up the value of your time, multiply that times the time you spend trying to get the thing for free, you might as well just spend the money…it's cheaper that way!

I think the site could earn a lot more more then that pyramid scam ad. Maybe an Amazon "pick of the week ad" (like the one used on YourMacLife - at the bottom left of the page) and then MacOSX.com could get a small kickback every time a user clicks on the Amazon button. Even though they don't buy the "pick of the week ad", as long as they buy something in Amazon after clicking the ad and staying in Amazon. I know of a couple of sires that do something like it.

Back