about to sell g4 ... to buy newer model?

verlorenengel

Geek Stink Breath
Hi guys,

I'm about to sell my beloved dual 500 g4 for a dirt cheap price of $1000 odd AUD in the next two weeks, I was planning on dropping by the local applestore to pick up a dual 1.0 g4 but am having second thoughts about it.

The question is... Should I wait until say July for a newer g4/g5 or just go ahead with the dual 1.0?
I'd just hate to buy the 1.0 and realise it's not that much of a performance boost compared to my 500... having never tried one though I dont know how accurate such a statement is, are they worth it coming from a dual 500 or what?

Woe is me. What to do!

Well, I think you'd be pretty damn impressed with a dual-1.0GHz. Even if Apple DOES release the much-speculated-about G5 or some faster G4s, big deal -- it's not like they've perfected nanoprocessing direct silicon 6GHz machines or anything.

Look at it this way: you get a bump to PC133 RAM, and your processors will run TWICE as fast as your old ones -- throw in the dual-processing factor, and I think you'll be perfectly happy with a dual-1GHz machine. You also get a better video card. It's an upgrade all the way around, and a damn good one in my opinion.

Even if you DO wait for faster G4 processors or the G5 processor, what do you think will happen then? 6 months later there'll be faster stuff released anyway.

I think people are misled into believing that when they buy top of the line it's gonna stay top of the line for a few months. Not so, at least in the computer market. The technology is growing exponentially, and newer, faster stuff is coming out daily.

Look at me -- I bought a G4 almost 2 years ago, and now it's obsolete and considered slow. But it works great for me.

Go for it.

I think that the dual 500's were a steal at the time they existed and I know a lot of users who wished they had taken advantage of these great models. *Remeber: The next version had a top of the line 733Mhz, arguabley slower on OS X than its predecssor model.

I really think that unless you are a professional user and would dramatically benefit from this extra power, you might as well wait. I think that bumps on the towers look very probable for MWNY, if you can wait that long.

If you aer going to wait, we should start and Apple product waiters group, I'm waiting to see if the iPod gets updated at the Tokyo show, I'm there for you!:D

i would wait.... i had a dual 500 at my old job. i loved it and before i bought my 733... i looked and looked for a good deal on a dual 500 or dual 533... couldn't find one.

that machine is plenty fast to get you through the spring. there will definitely be a tower revision of some kind this summer. (new bus speed, DDR, Geforce4 Ti, larger drives, etc.) IMHO.

Is it just me or are you crazy?

First of all $1000 Australian?!?!?!? They cost a fortune out there.:eek:

Secondly, You have a great machine.

Can I ask what you use it for? I can certainly understand going for a dual 1gig if you do After Effects, Final Cut or Maya or anything else that requires a lot of rendering. Then the machine is a real time/money saver.

Just my opinion. Sorry if I got all emotional.:)

That $1000 is too low, even in USD

You probably can sell it for much higher than that

I checked my local buy and sell paper here in Western Canada. Some people sell their Dual 450 with only 256MB RAM and 40GB HD for around $2600 CDN (1600 US)!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

By the way, I too am thinking about selling my Dual 500 and get the Dual Gig :D

C'mon... you know you want to. Dig up some extra funds and buy the dual gig. How much higher can they go in such a short time? You will be the coolest kid on the block. Everyone else is doing it.:D

Yeah I'm leaning towards just buying it.. I mean hell, worst case scenario it'll last me a year and I'll upgrade same time next year.

I'm selling it for $1000 odd to a friend so it's kind of a favour/just for her type dealio.

As for what I do - professional / power user, I do alot of web design, digital photography and am a system admin for a bunch of bsd servers - so I need my terminal windows in vast supply :)

Ohh did I mention I like to have the best?

1000 is definately low. Mac's tend to keep their value well. For osx, a dual 500 is arguably faster than the midrange G4 right now, a 933. But it's your call, I wish I could have a dual ghz also :D

Well...

I sold my Dual 500 and it's all gone. I made the mistake of taking a trip to the local apple centre and now I'm signed up for a dual 1gig coming next week.
Not that I regret it, but I'm sure my wallet would have rather been left in the car at the time.

I had a play around on the display model that was using a 22" cinema display.. my god I creamed my pants when I saw how big that monster was.. (Too many sex stories I think)

I couldn't guage the speed differences between my dual 500 and the 1000 dual very well as they had very little applications loaded up on the machine as it was just unpacked.

My problem now is - I ordered the machine with 512 ram and I've heard that the stock ram is CAS3, I want an extra gig of memory but I will order CAS2... So the question is - where can I get CAS2 memory online?

Better change my sig :)

You can get CAS2 memory (2-2-2) at Crucial.com, or Kingston.com -- to check some really low prices for that particular Mac model, head on over to Ramseeker.com or Ramprice.com (same site). They'll compare prices from many different vendors, and you can choose who to buy from.

Back