abut save as pdf

ironchef

Registered
what is the level of quality of the pdf created by the
"save as pdf" in the print dialog? (10.3/10.4)
compeer to the settings in adobe acrobat?
is it like "standard, high quality print? or press quality?"
and, is ther any way to control thus settings somewhere in the system.

thanks.

Hi Ironchef. There are no settings for controlling it from the system.
So the best comparison method would be - unless someone's already done it - comparing the same document pdf'ed with Mac OS X to the one pdf'ed with Adobe's tools.

what is the level of quality of the pdf created by the
"save as pdf" in the print dialog? (10.3/10.4)
compeer to the settings in adobe acrobat? ...
What are you looking for? I have three (3) PDF print drivers installed: Apple's built-in PDF facility, the Adobe Acrobat Distiller virtual print driver, and the CUPS-PDF virtual print driver. I can discern no measurable difference in quality among the three. If you want to worry, then worry about peace in the Middle East or tribal violence in Kenya. The quality of PDF virtual print drivers is nothing to worry about.

I beg to differ, MisterMe... as someone who needs to generate "press-ready" PDFs, the quality and settings are of utmost importance (and when it comes to raster images in PDFs, there is a marked difference in the quality of the PDF produced by Apple's print dialog vs. Acrobat Distiller). If ironchef is in a similar situation, then worrying about the quality of the PDF produced is very valid.

I would compare the "Print to PDF" quality to Acrobat Distiller's "High Quality" settings... the "Print to PDF" does not produce PDF X/1a quality PDFs in my experience, so if you're looking to create PDFs that need to be press-ready, I would highly recommend using the "Print to PostScript" option and then distilling with Acrobat Distiller to achieve your desired level of quality.

i just sow the post by ElDiabloConCaca, so i am not going to add.
you are probably not of the graphic disign or press industry or you wold know better!

ElDiabloConCaca is right . no graphic designer how knows his job will use the Apple's print dialog pdf's to send to a press house. maybe to send for approval to the costumer.

i know all that but i still cant believe that apple has no information any where of the exact pdf settings they are using. even if i cant change them.

Back