Accessed myself into oblivion...

mailjeb

Registered
When trying to figure out a way to restrict access to my external FW HD by other users, I restricted MYSELF out of it as well. I've checked the drive via diskutility and it's there, sitting pretty. When I unplug it while OSX is up and running, I even get the warning about unplugging the drive without ejecting it. Is there any way (terminal or not) to find the drive and reset my permissions. Since it's not a "boot up" drive, I can't reset the permissions in disk utility. Bummer.

Select the drive in the Finder and press the apple key and I.
Expand the tab called "Ownership and Permissions" and tick the box that says "Ignore ownership on the volume" (see below)

Attachments

• ignorer.jpg
    ignorer.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 5
Oh! I wish it were that simple! I must have hit "no access" to this drive. THUS, it doesn't pop up on the desktop or finder or anywhere. Only in the disk utility.

Hmmm.... If you've got enough space on the drive you could always install OS X on it which might work...

I had a look at doing this through Terminal and the 'chown' command but I got no where.

Have you tried using Disk Utility to mount the drive (File > Mount), then change the permissions via Get Info or the Terminal?

If you can mount it via Disk Utility, you can access it via the Terminal in /Volumes.

Back