Accessing Apple Printer From Windows Laptop

scotlovesmacs

Registered
Hi. I'm trying to get info on how to get a Windows machine to see, and print to, an Apple LaserWriter II on my home network. The situation is that my wife has a Dell Inspirion supplied by her work that she brings home each night and weekend. Connecting it to our home network via ethernet, she is able to get out to internet for websites, mail send/receive, etc. It would be very helpful for her to be able to print docs related to work while at home, but I can't figure out how to make the LaserWriter available as a selectable printer on her laptop.

The printer access is really the only issue. We don't need her to be able to access any of the other 3 Macs, external drives, etc., on the network. She works in a highly secure environment and I don't want to mess up any security functions regarding file sharing that may have been installed on her laptop. We just want her to be able to print when hooked up to our network at home.

The LaserWriter is network enabled and connected directly to an 8 port hub, not into any other computer first. All other computers on the network access the printer without difficulty. The Dell laptop network connection is via ethernet to the hub, the hub to router, and router to cable modem. Again, she has no problem getting out to internet with this configuration.

Any instruction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Scot.

PS Before I'm chastised for posting this thread, I have thoroughly searched the forums for this answer, and all the posts I've found address the question in reverse (i.e. Sharing a printer connected to a Windows machine and trying to access from a Mac, rather than vice-versa) Also, did search for "Windows Printing" as suggested by Kees, but search continues to produce "Sorry. No matches found" I don't know if the search engine for the site is down or what. Just FYI. Thanks again.

Well there is this hint that might help. If you are running the OS X Firewall (Sharing System Preference) you have to put check marks in Printer Sharing also.

Lastly check out this tutorial for the easier Bonjour for Windows.

Back