Acrobat problem

Brian Watson

Registered
I have no problem distilling the files with Distiller 6 but every time I crop a pdf with Acrobate 6 the icon changes and quark 5 or 6 doesn't recognise the format so will not import the files. Has anyone else had this problem?

I am running a G4 1.25 dual with Panther 10.3 and 1 gig of RAM.

Any ideas?

Did you try clicking on the file, going to the File Menu and selecting Open with, then select Quark?

Do you get any messages when Quark refuses to open it?

Cheryl: Quark doesn't open PDF files, so associating PDF files with Quark via the "Open with..." command will only complicate things. Quark can import PDF files (which is different from opening), though.

Brian: It sounds like you're opening pre-version 6 PDF files with Acrobat 6, and when you save them again, you're saving them in a PDF version that's too new for Quark to understand. Or something like that... what happens if you open a PDF file, crop it, then "Save as..." as a new file?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Cheryl: Quark doesn't open PDF files, so associating PDF files with Quark via the "Open with..." command will only complicate things. Quark can import PDF files (which is different from opening), though.

Brian: It sounds like you're opening pre-version 6 PDF files with Acrobat 6, and when you save them again, you're saving them in a PDF version that's too new for Quark to understand. Or something like that... what happens if you open a PDF file, crop it, then "Save as..." as a new file?

I have tried what you suggested and this doesn't work. I have drawn the same conclusion that you stated that although I distill the pdfs with distiller 6 they keep the same icon as a distiller 5 file (i.e. the adobe acrobate red icon). But when I alter them the icon changes to the blue and grey icon which I assume represents acrobat 6. Do you know if acrobat 6 files can be imported into quark (perhaps this is the problem).

Blue and grey -- you mean the "Preview.app" icon? What happens when you double-click the blue and grey icon (which app opens)?

Your best bet is to select the file and remind your computer that it is still indeed a pdf file. It may be changing it to a "Distiller" file to try to be helpful. Select it, Get Info, and choose Acrobat for the program that will always open that type of file.

Also make sure the file first has it's .pdf extension. You should be able to import that pdf to Quark 6; not sure if Quark 5 imports pdf files. But I haven't used it for the last 6 months since I have known about InDesign. :)

Back