ADC-DVI adapter help

dne

Registered
Hello-

I have been looking around, here and other places, for some information.

I have an old 17" ADC display that I want to hook up to my new MacBook Pro with DVI.

My question is THIS:
Can I use ANY DVI-ADC adapter, or do I need to but the apple one that is powered?

Thanks!

Which 17-inch display do you have?
If you have a CRT-type display with ADC - then you are not going to get it to work.
If, instead, you have an LCD flat panel, then a DVI-ADC adapter will work, and you need one that supplies power to the display through the adapter.

The reason the older CRT/ADC display won't work, no adapter will provide enough power. It can only be used with a Mac that provides power directly through the video card.

No adapter will provide enough power? Modern video cards aren't supposed to provide any power for running the screen.

The old CRT won't work because it's an analog display, and all currently available adapters send the digital signal, only. A company called Gefen made some adapters that send the analog signal, but that was only for a limited time back when Apple was selling the CRT.

Other than that, I see no reason why any adapter shouldn't work when Apple's does.

That's the point. Apple's adapter won't work, either. You will see that it specifically mentions 'flat-panel displays' It doesn't provide enough power to the CRT, as well as not providing the analog signal for the CRT model. The CRT model gets its power through the video cable, there is no separate power cord/adapter, so it gets its power through the video card. The only way now to use this CRT model is connected to a Mac that has one of the video cards designed to connect to the logic board power port, in-line with the AGP connector. For example, the AGP slot in the old G4 cube has that extra power connector for the video card. The video card doesn't provide the power, but passes it through the ADC connector.

I have a flat panel display.

SOOO....in a nutshell, I need to have a powered DVI-ADC adapter in order to hook up MacBook Pro up to the 17" flat panel?

Does anyone know of one besides the $100 one from Apple?

well, Dr.Bott has the DVIator for about $95 plus
and Gefen has one for $150
So, Apple is somewhere in the middle.

If you Google around, you can find the Apple one for probably around $85 or less.

Back