ADC woes...

Dime5150

Registered
Hi.

I have a 17 inch Studio Display (the clear model and last CRT made by apple before LCD takeover) and I was wondering.

I was thinking of maybe getting a PC ::love:: yes i know.. but i can't afford a new mac they are too expensive now and i was thinking a cheap pc for games anyway.

Is there a way to connect the monitor to a pc? I've seen ADC - VGA convertors but i believe they are only for the LCD screens. Would a ADC-DVI adapter work? and where do you get these? Would you then have to get a special video card for the pc?

Thanks to anyone with any knowledge or expertise in this!

I'm a little confused. I don't recall the CRT 17" having an ADC connector. The PDF Datasheet I found mentions a 15Pin VGA D-SUB connection. An ADC monitor takes its power from the PowerMac's ADC Video port, and a CRT needs considerably more power than an LCD. I dont think a Mac could power a CRT from an ADC port. But, if I am totally wrong an you have this connection, then any ADC-VGA adapter available from numerous third party vendors should work. If your PC has a DVI-D port on it, like many high end PC Video cards have, then Apple's ADC-DVI adapter will work, as will a third party vendor.

Nosh

If a Mac had the right power supply, it could power an ADC-enabled CRT display. But I don't think there are any, either.

Check the monitor, Dime. See if there is a power cord coming out of the back, or a place for one. If there is, you don't have an ADC monitor. If the monitor is VGA like Nosh says, then you should be able to connect it to a PC without problems, unless the PC has a DVI connection. And vice versa.

Basically, try it, then buy the necessary adaptor.

Why go to the other side just for games? There are Apple models priced under $1,000. Check MacMall, MacWarehouse and MacConnection.

Here's Apple tech info about the Studio display 17 CRT (ADC) Dime5150 is accurate, the is is the last CRT model from Apple (sold with cubes or G4 with ADC vid card)
I think this is pretty costly to get working on a PC, as you need an adapter that will also provide power through the single connection (it's a pure ADC)

Originally posted by Cheryl
Why go to the other side just for games? There are Apple models priced under $1,000. Check MacMall, MacWarehouse and MacConnection.
Because sub $1000 Macs would not be able to play the (good) games in our already small library :)

Apple's DVI -> ADC adapter will do the trick. I am using a Windows XP box at work successfully with a Cinema Display 22".

Tim

would like to hear that this could work, remember that the thread is about a CRT monitor, the only one Apple sold with ADC, naturally will need much more power through the ADC line than any flat panel, even that 22"

Yes my monitor is ADC powered. Like i said before it was the last CRT sold by apple and used it.

My concern is that the ADC-VGA adapter boxes say that they only work on LCD's. I'm sure the power drain from a crt is a lot more. I'm not sure if DVI would work either. I might end up buying another cheap monitor or just sell this monitor and get a new one.

Why would I get a mac for games? I'd like to keep my mac for stuff but i can't justify spending 1000 or less for a mac that won't be able to run half the games in the small mac library when I can get a PC for 600 dollars that is comparable to a G5.

Originally posted by Dime5150
Why would I get a mac for games? I'd like to keep my mac for stuff but i can't justify spending 1000 or less for a mac that won't be able to run half the games in the small mac library when I can get a PC for 600 dollars that is comparable to a G5.

One thing you might want to check. That small library of games may not play on a PC. Check the requirements on the boxes. While some developers put dual platform on one CD, others do not. You may need to buy the PC equivalent in order to work on your new windows machine. Your new PC will have Windows XP on it, so double check those requirements.

Remember that buying a cheap PC will give you low end quality--->problems.

Originally posted by Cheryl
One thing you might want to check. That small library of games may not play on a PC. Check the requirements on the boxes. While some developers put dual platform on one CD, others do not. You may need to buy the PC equivalent in order to work on your new windows machine. Your new PC will have Windows XP on it, so double check those requirements.

Remember that buying a cheap PC will give you low end quality--->problems.

I checked and you can get pretty much the highest level processor which will yes run all the games out now (2ghz AMD).

Well my G4 is less then 3 years old and can't run games that are coming out (Spearhead, Sim City 4, America's Army, Unreal 2k3). And i'm finding that yea some pc's aren't reliable. But I could go through 4 Pc's pricewise before I end up chunking out the money for a high end G5.

Keep in mind I just want a PC to play games on it. I'd keep using mac for things it does well and for my productivity stuff.

I'm still toying with the idea of getting a PC and probably won't. Just getting into a capitalist consumerism mood right now ::angel::

Cheryl, I think Dime is smart enough not to try to use his Mac games on a PC.

Dime: You will never get a PC for $600 that is comparable to a G5. Trust me on this. If you're using the Studio Display on your G4, then keep it there and get another monitor if you get a PC. If you have a different monitor attached to your G4, sell the Studio Display and get one that will be PC compatible.

Originally posted by arden
Cheryl, I think Dime is smart enough not to try to use his Mac games on a PC.

Dime: You will never get a PC for $600 that is comparable to a G5. Trust me on this. If you're using the Studio Display on your G4, then keep it there and get another monitor if you get a PC. If you have a different monitor attached to your G4, sell the Studio Display and get one that will be PC compatible.

Yea the games i really want to play on PC aren't even available for mac. Hence the reason why I'd get a PC for it.

Arden: The 2GHZ AMD XP is comparable. Well the G5 hasn't been out yet so I guess little bit jumping the gun on that one.

Building your own PC is what i'm talking about. My brother picked up pretty much a top of the line PC for less then 600. It has a one year warrenty and while not from the major brands it still has what you need. Everything is pretty much maxed out. Radeon 9800 card tv out 512 ram 80 gb hd AMD XP 2ghz. This excludes monitor of course.

But yea I think i would end up getting another monitor. I still have a bid of apple care left on this one. After that we will see how long it lasts or if it pop snaps out.

Back