Adding hard drive to Power Mac G4 733 Mac OS X

pathofthorns19

Registered
Hey. I'm going to add another hard drive to my Power Mac and I was wondering how that works with OS X, i.e. how hard drive is formatted, if I want to put everything to the new hard drive (120 GB) and make the other 40 GB the slave. I'm not sure if this is more a software issue or hardware issue in the forums, I'm fairly new to all of this expansion stuff. Thanks.

Most brands work right out of the box. I have currently 4 HD's in my comp and no CD. I use my laptop for reading and burning... If I need the Rom, I just take a drive out and rom back... But as for your problem... there should be little to no issues with dropping in a new drive.

If your drive doesn't show up right away, you can open up the disk utility app in your utilities folder and format the drive or partition it. If that doesn't work, bring the drive to a <gulp> PC friend that you haven't converted and ask them to format the drive as free space and bring it back to your disk utilities...

I know that Most Maxtor drives wrk in macs, and they have a fairly good support team running the custemer service area. (from what I have seen in posts)

Good Luck.

pathofthorns19 said:
Hey. I'm going to add another hard drive to my Power Mac and I was wondering how that works with OS X, i.e. how hard drive is formatted, if I want to put everything to the new hard drive (120 GB) and make the other 40 GB the slave. I'm not sure if this is more a software issue or hardware issue in the forums, I'm fairly new to all of this expansion stuff. Thanks.

Since you want to make your old HD the slave and the new one the Master, IMO, you should take the old HD out and change its jumpers to slave. The new drive is probably already configured as Master...so put in in the old HD location and put the old HD on top (the Master drive needs to be the first drive on the ribbon connector)

Matt

Master/Slave settings have no effect on performance. To the user, it's completely transparent. You can have your startup disk as the slave and the other one as the master, or vice-versa.

You can just set the new hard drive to slave and install it and it will perform just as well as if you removed the old hard drive, changed the jumpers, reinstalled it, then installed the new one as master. There's less steps involved if you just install the new one as slave.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Master/Slave settings have no effect on performance. To the user, it's completely transparent. You can have your startup disk as the slave and the other one as the master, or vice-versa.

You can just set the new hard drive to slave and install it and it will perform just as well as if you removed the old hard drive, changed the jumpers, reinstalled it, then installed the new one as master. There's less steps involved if you just install the new one as slave.

Yes I can confirm that I did just what EDCC says above. I split my (new) slave into 2 60gb partitions giving me virtual drives 1 (orig 30gb), 2 and 3 (both new 60gb). I now boot from drive 2, backing up to drive 1 everyday (2am) using Carbon Copy Cloner - which is terrific. I use drive 3 to hold all my audio and video files, but of course they are not backed up!. :D Duh!

Back