Adding URL of downloaded file to metadata?

videoflyer

Registered
It used to be (back in the day) that when I downloaded a file the originating URL would get added automatically into the Get Info window. That was extremely handy and painless - no copy/pasting needed!

These days I'm running Snow Leopard and I notice that, not only isn't this info added automatically, there isn't even a PLACE for it in the Get Info window anymore. How can I get this functionality back so that I can return to a file's originating URL somewhere down the line if the need arises?

Well, it does appear that Safari, at least, does this for SOME files...but not all. In fact, many of the files I've checked have shown only "Last opened" in the "More Info" section. Some files have more information there and some less but the "Where from" field is definitely not showing up for nearly all of my downloaded files.

Could it be that Safari only does it for certain downloads, and not for downloads which are automatically opened and installed, like .dmg files and other disk images?

If you have "Open 'safe' files after downloading" checked in Safari's preferences under "General," then this may be happening. Safari may be attaching the URL to the downloaded disk image, mounting the disk image, installing the included app (which will NOT have the URL attached, because it was inside the disk image), then deleting the disk image.

Is the problem reproducible? Does it always do it for the same file, or does it only do it sometimes for the same file? Can you test and see what types of files it does and does not happen with -- for example, maybe it happens for .zip files but not .dmg files, etc?

Back