Adequate OS X substitute for ResEdit?

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
ResEdit is one of the most useful tools I use, and I have yet to find an adequate Mac OS X native substitute for it, which is very disappointing.

Anyone know of any good ones? I seem to remember something called ResKnife, but that was in very early development and wasn't a viable option.

This is the last remaining Classic application in my Dock. All the rest of my frequently used applications are Mac OS X native (and I might add have nice aqua-y icons -- DiskTracker FINALLY released a version with a non-Classic icon!! :) ), so I'd really appreciate any insight you guys can give.

I think Resourcer 2.4 does essentially the same thing as ResEdit. The only drawback is that I think it's shareware, and can't save unless you pay the fee...

Ugh. Resorcerer (not Resourcer). I can't stand that application at ALL. The interface is horrible, especially when you have resize boxes that are not at the edge of the window. I like the simple but intuitive interface of ResEdit where you have an icon representing each resource.

I'll try HexEdit, but even you said yourself, alexandert, that HexEdit doesn't live up to ResEdit. I need something that does.

Get Interface Builder if you want to tweak with any and all Cocoa Apps. Remember Mac OS X is "open source." You can go into any Cocoa app and really make it your own way. For instance, you can change buttons, add buttons (that are functional), change images, move things any way you like, and do all sorts of crazy stuff! :D This is one of my favorite things about OS X!:D

Yo Mamma,
whitesaint

No, you don't seem to understand, whitesaint.

I want RESEDIT FUNCTIONALITY! Not Project Builder functionality... RESEDIT FUNCTIONALITY.

:p

check out MacResourceDog

some of it is in another language but i think you can work around that.

twister

Fond memories of playing about with my friends' computers with ResEdit:

Macintosh computer... £2000

Mac OS 9... £90

Cinema 4D... £1500

ResEdit... free

The look on my friend's face when I changed
the string 'Revert to Saved' in the file menu
under C4D, to 'Fuck that, I'm going back'... Priceless

Bernie :eek:)

LMAO!

Simx, asside from editing GUI's with interface builder, strings with the plist editor, and bundled graphics with Photoshop (or some other Mac OS X graphic editor like gimp), what do you need?

Granted, ResEdit was a swiss army knife of Macintosh resource tweakers, but seems to me that we have even greator functionality, just spread between many applications.

Do you want a 'do it all' application, or extended functionality?

ResEdit for Mac OS X is what I want! Sheesh! :p Is it that hard to comprehend? ;)

I want something that can go into the resources of a file, find pictures, embedded music, icons, etc. I want to be able to tweak the creation date, modification date, file type and creator, invisible flag, locked flag, etc. And I want this all in one application like ResEdit. Nothing can do this except ResEdit or Resorcerer (which I absolutely hate).

I still frequently use ResEdit even in the Classic environment to do this kind of stuff, but I want something that's Mac OS X native.

I can't talk for SimX, but I need a resource editor for writing programs. Or at least, if there is some way to use icons, ppats, pict's etc using Interface Builder or one of the other tools mentioned, I haven't found it, and no one seems willing to tell me. Therefore, I need a resource editor to make a resource file containing all my needed icons, picts, patterns etc. Preferably one that can do 32bit ppats. In OS X.

macavenger: For icons, you could use Iconographer, which is a great icon making application. With Project Builder, you can integrate the icon into your app by saving the icon set as a .icns file, dragging the .icns file into your Files list of your project window, and then going to the Build settings and giving the name of your icon set.

But for the other stuff, I agree that you need ResEdit for OS X.

WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE SAVE US?? Don't make me write an AppleScript Studio application to browse through resources!! :p

in mac os x no file has resorce forks so a program to edit them would be useless or worse it would corupt files by adding resorce forks.

in mac os x resorces (like icons and other things kept in the resorde fork) are stored as individual files with in an apps package. plist editor interfacebuilder and the other progs mentioned will edit these the way resedit edited them in os 9.

bames53: I don't believe you're right. There is still a lot of data that is kept in the resource fork of some files (especially if a Classic program created it), and I still want to be able to access resource forks of old OS 9 applications if I wanted to.

I WANT RESEDIT FOR MAC OS X! :mad:

It is correct that OS X applications (the package ones at least) store their resources in individual files. However, if there is some way to make/edit/use files for things like shading patterns (ppat replacement), or images for buttons or the like, without making a resource file, I have yet to find it. It must exist, as programs use it, but I have no clue how and can't seem to find anyone to tell me. However, using a resource editor such as Resourcer to make a data-fork resource file, and including that in the resource manager files section of Project builder, does work. Unfortunately, as mentioned earlier, Resourcer leaves much to be desired. And being able to edit OS 9/carbon resource forks in OS X would be nice as well. So please, stop saying that we don't need one :) Although I would like to know specifically how to do things like add pictures or patterns to my program without one. But that is for a different thread.

As long as you stick with OSX programs, you should never need a ResEdit.

The finder, Interface Builder, Project Builder, and various developer tools (like the ones that set file types a la res edit) are build for Mac Os X.

And we really don't and shouldn't use resource forkes anymore. Old apps still use resource-forked files for keeping bundles of icons and stuff together, but their days are numbered.

Just read "Learning Cocoa" if you want more information about why Resource forkes are outdated! (caus it has plenty to say...)

Originally posted by macavenger
So please, stop saying that we don't need one :)

:rolleyes:

Kilowatt, like macavenger said, STOP telling us we don't need one! I know what I need, and I need ResEdit for Mac OS X, damnit!

Now is anybody going to suggest some USEFUL information?

Back