Adequate OS X substitute for ResEdit?

I know exactly what Simx means, I want a carbonized ResEdit, too... hopefully some underground Apple engineers are working on it as we speak...

what Mac OS X applications use resource forks?

and if you need to edit OS 9 or classic apps that have resource forks you should use OS 9 or Classic ResEdit to do it.

if there was a Res Edit for Mac OS X, it would have been mentioned by now.

Originally posted by bames53
what Mac OS X applications use resource forks?

Well, for one...mine. Since I haven't been able to figure out how to do without a resource file. No, there is no actual resource fork, but there is a data fork resource file, which is edited using a resource editor. And as I believe I mentioned before, some carbon apps (Such as Adobe GoLive 6.0, just to mention one) still use Resource forks.

and if you need to edit OS 9 or classic apps that have resource forks you should use OS 9 or Classic ResEdit to do it.

But that requires booting OS 9 or launching classic, which I, at least, avoid as much as possible. And there is no reason why I SHOULD have to.

if there was a Res Edit for Mac OS X, it would have been mentioned by now.

Actually, it has. MacResourceDog, Resourcer, and ResKnife. The problem is, all of these leave much to be desired, and we are hoping that someone still has a better alternative. Unfortunately, it would appear that all we can get are naysayers who are trying to convince us we don't need one :(.

Originally posted by macavenger

Unfortunately, it would appear that all we can get are naysayers who are trying to convince us we don't need one :(.

So it would seem.

I want ResEdit too! I used it on my old Mac (System 7.1) and it was the most useful tool around. Is anybody making a new ResEdit? Or at least making a patch so it works properly in X?

kilowatt and bames53, this message is aimed at you two.

I can prove to you that all Mac OS X files can potentially use resource forks. Sorry to burst your bubble, but resource forks are still actively used in Mac OS X. Although it may not be a lot of information, the resource fork is actually still used, in any case.

See this thread: http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10526

And as I said before, all files made with Classic applications (there are still a lot of people in the Classic Mac OS) have the potential to have a resource fork, as do many Classic and legacy applications. I want to be able to access the resources of these files/folders natively in Mac OS X.

So, sorry to say it, but you guys are wrong. ResEdit still has a future on Mac OS X. Now stop saying, "Nay" and help me find/program an adequate substitute.

Wait, lemme guess, kilowatt. You're now going to stop using the "Open With..." function because it goes against your principles which say not to use resource forks. :rolleyes:

Back