Adobe wide-open prefers Wintels!!!

I imagine that it is pretty true, but to me (who just came from the wintel world) the benifts of a mac out weigh the few seconds I could get on a PC.

Matthew

This is old news. We all know that the current state of Mac performance vs WinTel performance is lacking. There are those who need the bigger picture, the Mac is viable. There are those who need the performance, the Mac is not.

I don't "blame" adobe" for anything. They aren't spreading unsubstantiated rumours. They aren't "bashing" the Mac. Does being Pro-Mac mean that one has to hide any information that puts the Mac in a negative light?

Hopefully by the end of the year when Apple is shipping 2.5ghz 970 that kicks butt on those 3.5ghz P4's, we can sit back and chuckle about this whole "performance deficit thing". Until then, we have to take our punches like men ;)

While I can believe the performance data, that is a really crappy article. For example: anyone notice that in once place: dual 1 GHz, other place: dual 1.25 GHz. Also, in one place, minutes is spelled minuted. Also, their graphs are a little suspect...

"While I can believe the performance data, that is a really crappy article. For example: anyone notice that in once place: dual 1 GHz, other place: dual 1.25 "

The 1 Ghz reference was to the previous test. The new one used a 1.25 Ghz chip.

Originally posted by binaryDigit
Until then, we have to take our punches like men ;) [/B]

Damn straight! Don't worry fellow Mac followers, we will have the spotlight again soon...

the main reason i would say for pc benefit is that macs are only 3% of the market. that's a lot of $ from pc users...

...Adobe(!?) web page is a bit hmmmmmmmm?

Well, first of all:
-The Dual 1.25 isn't Apple's top gun
-While the Dull ( :D ) 3GHz is Wintel's top gun
-What is the exact configuration of both computers? Under what OSes, RAM, hard disks, etc. the tests took place?
-Are those 4 simple(!?) stats the objective work of a computer running Adobe apps?
-Is Adobe pissed by Apple for Final Cut VS Premiere?
-Is Adobe getting paid by Dell?
-What is the overall performance of a Dull computer when it gets full of viruses, hard disk fragmentation, "Do you want to send this crash report back to M$?" messages, security holes, etc?
-This page http://www.adobe.com/motion/gear/main.html with Dull offers with Premiere isn't relative?
-Did somone at Adobe or Adobe in general consumed by the Dark Side? :D

Methinks that this PC PREFERRED page at Adobe is biased to say the least and would not change even when the dual (!?) G970 will arrive... Methinks that Adobe has a vendetta going on with Apple from Final Cut time ago ( ;) ) until who knows? :confused:

As for more users coming from the Dark Side: Total Crap... For many years Adobe sells in both platforms so they never had a problem going to the Dark Side; they were always there with their one foot... Or should I say with their both feet? :rolleyes:

stop complainging because it's true

i suggest you all go here:
http://www.apple.com/contact/feedback.html

ell apple about the adobe page and ALSO HOW IT IS TRUE!!!!

BECAUSE IT IS. Video performance is better on PCS and will always be until we see a new processor.

So stop being a Apple apologizer and take action by telling apple you despise the G4 and will not buy a new machine until you see it's perfomance significantly increase. PERIOD.

Yes, this raises an interesting point, for those that did not know this.

Adobe doesn't really need Apple. In fact it's the other way around. Apple really needs Adobe to do it for them. Adobe makes more money from their PC versions then they do for their mac versions of software. In fact for awhile there, that was actually on Adobe's site in their Mac OSX section.

I think they keep their mac software line, because they are interested in hedging their bets a bit. If Apple does something great, then they can say "We were always with Apple." If Apple goes away (I know that won't happen.. but if...) Then Adobe can say the same thing "We were always with Apple, now buy our PC versions of the software you've come to love and use."

The fact that Adobe posted this news on their website shows a shift in thinking. Adobe is starting to indirectly complain about the speeds of the platform. This article is aimed at the consumers. Those people who mistakenly think it's photoshop's fault that it's going so slow. Adobe is in effect saying, "no it's not, it runs fast on the PC, see?"

Although I don't mean to be all negative, in fact I think most of the news is good news. This is another source telling Apple to speed things up a bit. Apple is smart, and they are no doubtably working on the OS's speed issues.

Another point I want to make is that Adobe is very loyal to Apple. I met with both an Apple and Adobe guy the other week, for a convention I went to. They even chose to sit next to each-other. They were sharing pleasantries all night. The Adobe guy was defending Apple (there was a PC guy at the table) and the Apple guy was defending Adobe (There was a Quark guy at the table too). Apple and Adobe love each-other, even at the sales level. Adobe's image has always been driven by artists, a commonality they share with Apple. The two go hand-in-hand.

Video performance is better on the PC but I think part of there tests are to blame on poorly written software as well. After Effects runs like crap on OSX, and always has. Even if the systems were equal I doubt the Mac version would be faster. Since Adobe has dragged its feet on this issue and Premiere basically hasn't been good since 4.2, Apple took the ball into their own hands and created FCP. Since that was technically not in direct competition with Premiere due to price, it was more aimed at competition towards Avid and Media 100. HIGH END editing not intermediate. However I think what pissed Adobe off was Final Cut Express. THAT directly hits Premiere in the gut and is cheaper. Seems like there are personal issues there to me. However I've seen Adobe swing more development towards the Windows platform since Illustrator 7 was moved over and they agreed to have both platforms equal on software. Oh well, was bound to happen sooner or later so no surprise here to me.

You should check out the flame war at OSNews.com. Geez!

Originally posted by hulkaros
...Adobe(!?) web page is a bit hmmmmmmmm?

Well, first of all:
-The Dual 1.25 isn't Apple's top gun
-While the Dull ( :D ) 3GHz is Wintel's top gun
-What is the exact configuration of both computers? Under what OSes, RAM, hard disks, etc. the tests took place?
-Are those 4 simple(!?) stats the objective work of a computer running Adobe apps?

They state that the configs aren't the fastest/latest, so what. The absolute numbers aren't the point, it's the general trend. If the Dell were 10% faster then a reasonable point could be made that there are bound to be several bench marks that go the other way, but you'd be hard pressed to find a benchmark that would swing towards the Mac, and if you did, it would be just that a single benchmark out of many that the Mac would lose.

Again, the exact configs aren't important (because of the LARGE discrepency) unless you truely think that Adobe is trying to intentionally cook the report. Out of box the Dell kicks the Macs butt at a great many tasks, PERIOD. Feel lucky they didn't start doing price/performance comparisons, OUCH.

Now what would be nice would be for Apple to say, "well, yeah, just trying those benchmarks while surfing and watching a quicktime movie and see who gets done quicker. There the Mac would stand a chance and nobody really does these types of benchmarks since they don't represent the typical business use but more the typical consumer use (or at least the way I tend to work).

I for one am Angered by the language of the page... It's basically indirectly bashing Macintosh users by being politically correct...

Huh... Simple... They are saying Wintel machines are faster... hmmm how many blue screen crashes are they really... taking into effect hehe.

Originally posted by Sirtovin
I for one am Angered by the language of the page... It's basically indirectly bashing Macintosh users by being politically correct...

Huh... Simple... They are saying Wintel machines are faster... hmmm how many blue screen crashes are they really... taking into effect hehe.

Please, enough with the "blue screen" cracks. I have used NT 4/Win2K at home and work now for the last 8 years and other than when I had a flakey Matrox card (an original Millenium no less) I would RARELY get blue screens. I'm a developer and I'm one of those people who NEVER turn their computer off and am constantly working on lots of stuff at once. The computer that I'm typing this on now (Win2K Prof) has been up since Jan 21'st! (whoa, better get some of those security patches installed).

I'm not saying that everyone is as fortunate. But I highly doubt that my experience is just luck. I also can't speak for WinME and the other non NT based Windows out there, maybe THEY have issues. But the whole Mac putdown of blue screen this and blue screen that just shows that many Mac users are really starting to lose touch with reality and are starting to cling onto non existing threads in their attempts to feel better about themselves.

And FYI, I use a Mac everyday at home as well.

it really is funny. apple now has a cult following. they have people, no matter how badly their products perform in comparison to pc's, who will make irrelevant arguments to defend apple.

don't get me wrong. i am an apple user myself, and i would never go back to using pc's. but, you have to give credit to the pc world where credit is due. they deal on such a larger market scale, so companies are able to throw much greater numbers of R&D, resulting in faster, more efficient products. the mac has ease of use and great performance as well, but lets just admit that pc's have their advantages.

example: ASP is a server-side web language developed by microsoft. it can do create things with very simple syntax (in comparison to perl) because microsoft has the resources to spend and develop something, and then develop a standard that other companies and people can perfect.

i kinda just got off on a rant there, but my point is simple: praise apple when they deserved to be praised, and give the pc's credit when they actually deserve it. in the processing world, pc's have no doubt surpassed the mac. no one doubts it. macs may be easier to use, but that's a different thread.

We are telling the truth about Macs being better/faster than Wintels and Adobe defends their products because they perform badly on the Dark Side of the Force ;)

After all, we have MANY benchmarks to back this up while they have ONLY 4 poorly based graphs showing their "truth" :D

As for Windows NT/2K/XP NOT having BSOD I keep forgetting that guess what? They DO have them but now you get them while you have a boot problem or you get them via windows messages similar to these:
-Do you want to post this crash back to M$?
-This program cannot end itself: Do you want to End this now manually?

Accept the truth? What truth? The Wintel one? Come on! Can anyone answer this?
-What is the overall performance of a Dull (insert ANY Wintel here) computer when it gets full of viruses, hard disk fragmentation, "Do you want to send this crash report back to M$?" messages, security holes, etc?

The thing that Adobe does on that web page is a propaganda and a bad one that is! If they REALLY have a case they should prove it and not just cook one and a half baked one that is! ;)

:D

Originally posted by hulkaros ...
After all, we have MANY benchmarks to back this up while they have ONLY 4 poorly based graphs showing their "truth" :D

Really, can you point me to some? I haven't seen any somewhat recent ones that have been "decently" done.

As for Windows NT/2K/XP NOT having BSOD I keep forgetting that guess what? They DO have them but now you get them while you have a boot problem or you get them via windows messages similar to these:
-Do you want to post this crash back to M$?
-This program cannot end itself: Do you want to End this now manually?

The only time I see the first message is when IE dies because the streaming plugin that I use crashes it when the network connection is lost. I have MANY occasions to kill programs that won't die nicely, but this is usually stuff that I'm personally working on. Plus, this type of thing (flakey apps) happens just as well on the Mac (had to kill Mozilla just last night because it got real unhappy trying to load a pdf).

Accept the truth? What truth? The Wintel one? Come on! Can anyone answer this?
-What is the overall performance of a Dull (insert ANY Wintel here) computer when it gets full of viruses, hard disk fragmentation, "Do you want to send this crash report back to M$?" messages, security holes, etc?

Again, please, do you actually use a Wintel box? I've never had a virus (knock on wood) in all the years I have used pc's. I NEVER open executable attachments sent to me (unless it's something that I asked someone I know for explicitly). I don't run virus scanners (they hose up systems worse than virus's) and I actually do use outlook and have IIS running (at the office, at home I use a different pop3 reader and use apache and not IIS). ALL file systems have to deal with fragmentation, NTFS is better than FAT, and maybe HFS+ (or whatever OSX uses) is better than NTFS, but they ALL have to deal with it and all suffer from it. And how is reporting a problem back to M$ now a "problem". Safari has a button to report problems back to Apple. When mozilla craters it asks if I want to send a report back. Is it purely because the report is going back to M$ that makes this bad? And like OSX never has security holes? Yes, they look to be doing a much better job at patching them quickly than M$ does, but the fact that 90+% of the world is using M$ probably has as much to do with the number of virus' and security issues than just simply M$ write crappy code (which they do btw).

So once again, PUUULEEEZZZZE stop with the Wintel stereotyping. The Wintel platform is not perfect, but neither is the Mac. They both have strengths and weaknesses and like it or not, Wintel has made great strides in getting their stuff up to snuff afa reliability and ease of use go. Are they up to Apple/Mac standards, no. Are they worlds behind like in the 90's, absolutely not. Will they continue to improve, you better believe it.

Originally posted by binaryDigit
Again, please, do you actually use a Wintel box? I've never had a virus (knock on wood) in all the years I have used pc's.

I would gladly go on and EVEN send you pictures of how ALL Windows versions act VERY strange MANY times each and every day sometimes not doing anything even remotely important but actually I won't! The reason is the above quote of yours...

You know what? You should hand over your system to M$ for "no-viruses in all your computer years case studies"! :D And you know why? Because even M$ in the past couple of months had MANY problems with security holes and viruses in their OWN systems running THEIR OSes... :eek:

Is Apple losing in speed areas VS the Wintel world? Yes and no... Are they going to do something about it? Heck yes! Patience is virtue ;) As for Wintel improving their stuff: Heck yes! They have many many things to copy from Apple in the years ahead like OS X, hardware and software design in general as well as the way of combining these things together... :D XP+Centrino anyone? ;) :D

Originally posted by hulkaros
You know what? You should hand over your system to M$ for "no-viruses in all your computer years case studies"! :D And you know why? Because even M$ in the past couple of months had MANY problems with security holes and viruses in their OWN systems running THEIR OSes... :eek:

You're referring to their servers. I don't have a Windows based machine acting as a server (i.e. visible to the internet). Again, I avoid virus' by a few very incredibly simple steps:<br>
<br>
1. Turn OFF "hide know file extensions" so you can ALWAYS see the full name of any attachments sent.<br>
<br>
2. NEVER execute any executable attachment sent via email (exe, scripts, etc) unless you explicitly know the source and REASON the executable is being sent. I even tell my friends to NEVER bother to send me an executable because I will NEVER run it.<br>
<br>
3. Never execute a program downloaded from a website that is not "known" to you (i.e. make sure you're downloading an app from the COMPANIES website, avoid mirrors and other non official sites).<br>
<br>
4. Use an internet router and stealth ALL your ports. The average home user has no reason at all to have ANY ports open to the outside world. I have a couple that get forwarded so I tinker.<br>
<br>
So 4 VERY easy steps to computing bliss. I'm even terrible at loading patches/service packs. At home I've only loaded SP2 since that was the service pack available when I did the install, not one service pack or security update since, never need to. Now granted, most of my other friends don't do this, and by golly they do get nailed. I've pretty effectively drilled this into my wifes head though and she hasen't had any virus issues on her computer at home or work in over 4 years now.<br>
<br>
Now security holes exist, I'm not saying that WinXXX is fool proof. But then again, didn't Apple just release a security patch two days ago. Didn't they also release another security patch a few weeks ago? Just because the script kiddies love to attack M$ doesn't mean that Mac users can somehow be snug and smirk about how insecure Windows is while having to integrate security patches on their own systems every couple of weeks.

Back